Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Friday, June 17, 2011

SLL's Perennially Off to a Slow Start All-Request Friday Night

Oh, man, I'm bad at this. This is a fun feature to write, but the problem is the format has me waiting until the last moment to get started so that all the requests have a shot at inclusion. And since I am a Lawleresque slow starter to begin with, if one major interruption hits during the day - as happened again this week - my whole timetable goes kablooie. Fear not, your requests are forthcoming. Here's one to tide you over while the other four get worked out of limbo.

Randy Savage vs. Yokozuna (WWF, 3/7/1993)
Requested by my buddy Chris


My friend has always been a pretty big booster of this match. Me, not so much. It's not bad at all, but there's not much meat to it, and it's definitely the least of all the Savage matches I've reviewed since his passing. This was from the March to Wrestlemania IX, and it's Yoko squashing his highest profile opponent to date en route to his title shot against Bret Hart...except for the finish, where Savage avoids a reverse avalanche and hits a top-rope axehandle on a staggered Yoko. He tries for another, but Mr. Fuji jabs his knee with the Japanese flag, and the Yoko polishes him off with a belly-to-belly suplex. Yoko is fine here as the hulking monster dominating Savage, and Savage is fine getting dominated and scoring his few flurries of offense. Still, these are both guys who have done better. I also kinda question the booking of the finish. If I'm remembering correctly, this was the first time Yoko was booked to show weakness in a match (albeit briefly), and he cheats to win. I'm not sure this is a smart thing to do with your challenger going into his big PPV main event title shot. Just a taste of things to come with Mania IX, I guess.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home