Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Monday, May 16, 2011

My Favorite Wrestling: WCW Worldwide 7/4/98

My favorite way to watch my favorite wrestling is to just grab a random disc out of the stacks, no cherry picking, no looking up matchlistings, just going in blind. Sometimes you get bent over hard and end up sitting through Stevie Ray vs. Konnan, and other times Orion smiles upon you and you get a gloriously random mix of the most fun wrestling ever. So I went into the vaults and pulled out 7/4/98, the 222nd birthday of this great nation of ours. And WCW wished America happy birthday with one weird fucking episode.

1. Vincent vs. Marty Jannetty

First off, Marty fucking Jannetty (!) gets a clean pin over a member of the nWo halfway through 1998! WHAT!? Vincent looked awesome here, hitting an assortment of fistdrops and "Hitman" style elbow drops. Then Jannetty somehow gets the win. Insane. Did not see that coming. That's one of the great things about syndicated WCW, is that you get weird hierarchy matches between people that you've never seen win one match. Who wins a match between Van Hammer and Scott Vick? There are often no foregone conclusions with these matches. I didn't even know Marty was employed this late, let alone winning matches.

2. Lenny Lane vs. Spike Moore

Spike Moore was a guy I have NEVER seen before. He was wearing a pirate skull shirt and kinda looked like Droz. Match was close to getting the full point, before Lenny sold a roll up like a clothesline and then they just awkwardly cut to a finish. Moore hit his shoulderblocks really hard and looked decent. I could not find any information on the guy. Anybody?

3. Magnum Tokyo vs. Bobby Blaze

Blaze threw some fine suplexes and Tokyo grinded his crotch in Blaze's face a bunch, and Larry Zybszko kept calling Magnum "The Japanese". What? Really? This match could not take place anywhere else.

4. Villanos vs. High Voltage

THIS was totally awesome, with Villanos looking great as always, and RAGE and KAOS hitting their fun springboard power moves and bumping shockingly well. RAGE and KAOS were a pretty damn fun team looking back. I remember enjoying Rage's NJPW stint earlier this decade, but didn't remember if he was any good or not. For a team that jobbed constantly in WCW, the Villanos always seem to get put over strong on commentary and by their opponents. Teams always give them a bunch of offense (even if there's usually quite a size difference). Shoot, Brian Knobbs had a competitive 8 minute match against one of them, and most heavyweight workers don't get that much of a rub from Hogan friends. Good times.

5. John Nord vs. Goldberg

WHAT THE FUCK was Goldberg doing on WORLDWIDE in the middle of 1998!?!?!?!?!? Was this taped in like 1997!? Why was John Nord wrestling in 1998!? What the hell was happening here? I love you WCW!!!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

i just watched a Best of Marty in WCW comp. (don't asked how I ended up with it as I have no clue) and that Vincent match was on there.. - out of 30+ bouts there weren't many that stood out from the pack but there's a really fucking cool one against Black Cat from a Nitro where Cat just punches Marty right in the teeth

1:33 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Love your theory of "going in blind" and not looking up matchlistings and so forth. Think I'll probably start doing that. Great review by the way.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol its funny spike moore is a family friend. hes my mom best friend husband and my step fathers work out partner. he still keeps in shape and tells funny stories bout the stars

10:46 PM  
Blogger EricR said...

That is awesome. I want to know more backstory on Spike Moore. Put him in contact with me and we'll have him on a Segunda Caida radio episode, shooting the breeze about WCW. He doesn't even have to dish dirt, I just want to hear WCW stories.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My boyfriend see him at the store here in phx az he showed hid back tatto to him a couole days back and mt bf says hes a funny guy and buff too.. boyfriend didnt know who he was til he told him

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm spike Moore..yes I've got tons of stories.. Wish I would of made tons of money..I.really had a great time..that wasnabgreat accompl

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I.made it to TV in 8months..I was hiding from the police at that time.wrestling on TV did a video game for wcw and ea sports


.great memories

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spike Moore 520-323-0008

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home