Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Sunday, September 24, 2017

WWE No Mercy 2017 "Live" Blog

1. Elias vs. Apollo Crews

ER: I really like the early headlock work in this, like Elias walking up the buckles and floating over in a headlock, Crews holding a tight headlock on the mat. Crews pops up with a handspring and hits a huge dropkick and grounds again with the headlock. Cole relays a story about Elias walking 45 miles just to see Neil Young in Austin, which if true is a better Neil Young story than me telling him I loved "On the Beach" while standing in line next to him at Great American Music Hall's bathroom. Elias sweeps the leg and Crews takes a big bump on the apron. I also liked Elias's mule kick, thought Crews went to comeback too quick but I liked his comeback. Elias has no problem leaning into a yakuza kick, Crews has maybe the nicest kip up in wrestling, and this was another in a long line of perfectly fine pre-show matches. I need to start watching Main Event to see what gems might be on there.

2. The Miz vs. Jason Jordan

ER: I really loved Jordan's recent TV matches with Cena and Reigns, hoping he can continue being a nice 10 minute match superstar. And this starts off good, especially liked Jordan getting dropkicked off the apron and then slammed into the barricade. Rachel is always excellent at spotting Mamrie Hart/Grace Helbig at ringside and also points out Hannah Hart. Women are funny, get over it. Miz has a nice cravate and Jordan bounces on his dome off a DDT. Jordan throws a real nice top rope clothesline, which is not an easy clothesline to do. Most people have a terrible top rope clothesline. Miz gets launched by a belly to belly, the rolling northern lights are still cool, and on the floor he tosses Dallas into the rest of the Miztourage with a belly to belly. Crowd is super hot for Miz and clearly want him to retain, and sure enough when Axel interferes on his behalf the crowd literally leaps to their feet knowing he was winning. These Hollywood Elites just looooooove the A-Lister. Jordan complains ineffectively after the match. He's clearly going heel, soon.

3. Bray Wyatt vs. Finn Balor

ER: Bray jumps Finn and we get minutes of anguished faced Finn selling his tummy down the ramp whle referees who all look bigger than him offer their support. It's cruel that they're making me watch this match, but also delaying the start of the match. Rip that bandaid off, jerks! But, Finn has a decent baseball slide dropkick, Bray does a tough superplex and Bray headbutting him off the ropes looked cool. Bray weenies out of the follow through on the apron DDT, but Finn gets credit for still winging himself head and shoulder first into the apron. Balor traps Wyatt in the apron and kicks him, and really there aren't many guys less cool than Balor to be allowed to do the Finlay apron skirt spot. But really this whole thing didn't do much for me. Their whole "feud" has been completely missable and pointless.

4. Seth Rollins/Dean Ambrose vs. Sheamus/Cesaro

ER: This feud also hasn't been doing it for me, but I like Cesaro going after Ambrose, swinging him into the ring steps and booting him in the face. But I lose interest when Rollins tags in, throwing top rope clothesline over Cesaro's head and hitting a light plancha. Cesaro has a bloody nose or mouth (maybe from hitting the ring post?), and he's really been a nut this match. He even takes a huge backdrop to the floor and yeah he's making this match. Cesaro is also awesome while trying to tap Ambrose, working to keep him away from the ropes, rolling into a crossface. Jeez it looks like Cesaro got his front teeth knocked out. Cesaro powerbombs Rollins off the middle rope ONTO Ambrose which looked killer and really could/should be a finisher. I dug the spot where Sheamus set up the brogue kick but Ambrose fell over before he could hit it. But I didn't really buy the finish of Sheamus being put down by a knee and an okay DDT. Cole/Booker/Graves seem to think this was the tag match of the decade, it felt more like an inspired Cesaro performance and a typical solid Sheamus performance. I still thought Ambrose and Rollins had weak offense and in Ambrose's case it's always set up the exact same way. I thought Cesaro/Sheamus really admirably carried this.

5. Bayley vs. Emma vs. Nia Jax vs. Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss

ER: The rule of matches with odd numbered participants still applies here for sure, but I like the people involved so we'll see if they can have a good match. I love Bliss/Nia interactions, Bliss always cops the best faces during them. Nia being the awesome boss with huge running avalanches corner to corner. The double samoan drop spot is never really believably set up, but the results are satisfying. I love Nia blocking Alexa's DDT and not going down for Bayley's guillotine. Nia takes a bonkers powerbomb bump off the apron and she is officially the boss. How can people still hate Nia? Finishing stretch starts getting hot when Bliss goes for the double knee moonsault and Bayley catches her with a suplex, and we get some good saves. I wish we had gotten a bigger Nia comeback as I was hoping she'd factor into the finish, but I like Bayley being the one making a ton of the saves and then ultimately being the one not saved.

6. John Cena vs. Roman Reigns

ER: The fans are really cool and I believe they start off with a "You Both Suck" chant. It sets up a nice start to the match as Cena plays along and threatens to leave, which allows Roman to jump him on the rampway. Cena is always great at taking bumps around and into the ring steps, so we get some of those to start which allows Roman to start with the advantage. But by the time they go to strike exchanging I realize that I have really gotten into this. It's been fine, but it's been under expectations. It felt like we got to the big kickouts a little early, although the AA off the middle rope looked pretty spectacular. JEEZ Roman reverses the AA on the announce table and spears Cena, but Roman looks like he took the WORST DDT possible. I mean he folded in a totally gross way on that landing. I admit some of the AA finisher spamming has sucked me in, mainly because of how the crowd is reacting to it. I love Cena rolling through the 3rd AA to deliver the 4th, and the crowd reactions are really good. Camera finds a great shot of a kid cheering Cena's inevitable win and then being stunned when Roman kicks out. I thought this was fine, but delivered under my expectations. The finisher spamming was really only satisfying because of the hot crowd.

7. Enzo Amore vs. Neville

ER: I still don't understand why Enzo is on TV as much as he is, but here we go. I have really liked wrestlers with no offense before (like Stevie Richards, or Virgil) but Enzo does very little for me. I enjoyed him a few times as a FIP during tags, but he doesn't bring enough to singles matches for me. I mean, the Beetlejuice suit is cool and all, and he doesn't shy out of taking a beating, but I can't buy him as a threat to anybody. Still, he brings the bumps, leaning into a shotgun kick, flying into the timekeeper's area and upside down into the barricade. His DDT of the top rope was great as Neville returned the bump favor and planted himself. The finish took a long time to set up, but was pulled off effectively. The punt to the balls looked like something that would keep a man down, I just have zero interest in seeing Enzo in more singles matches.

8. Braun Strowman vs. Brock Lesnar

ER: Braun is an incredibly credible challenger to Brock, and him tossing around Brock is great. That powerslam always seems to completely rattle the ring. Lesnar uses that kimura on Braun so effectively, really feels like a great way to attack him. Braun gets suplexed a bunch and I think both men are great at selling both power and fading stamina. Lesnar is good at selling fatigue from the suplexes, Braun is good at selling the suplexes. Graves is good at keeping attention on Braun's arm during Braun's powerslam, and (this sounds like a cop out) but the crowd genuinely seems to be in awe. And then an F5 finishes it WAY earlier than I expected. I was still getting into the match, excited for where it was going...and then it stopped, just like that, and it felt really flat. I assumed there would be shenanigans of some kind, and instead Braun just kind of lost.

ER: The show moved quick, and it managed to be a breezy viewing without me really loving the show. I was banking pretty heavily on the two big matches delivering, and they did not. So the show seems far more disappointing to me than it might have actually been. I had just watched the Braun/Brock/Joe/Reigns match again a couple days ago and was too stoked for that main. And it felt like we got just half a match. It's crazy to me that they've ended SO MANY PPVs this past year on crap non-finishes to main events...but this one ends clean as a sheet. And RIP Cesaro's beautiful smile.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

1) For whatever reason Wal-Mart other than the expensive boxes has no Magic The Gathering cards. So to fill my collecting bug decided to buy some WWE cards. One of them happen to be Apollo Crews about a year and a half ago celebrating a victory over Elias Samson. Is this finally getting a win back?
I also got an Elias card and sounds like the only NXT match I saw was his swan song match there and this guitar thing seems to be long running. Not sure how the gimmick would have worked there. How many songs could you do about Disney World, Harry Potter, the local wrestling competitors, Florida Gators football, etc. ?
I have a soft spot for Titus Worldwide but all the stuff about the Chargers seems silly when the game I believe was still in progress. I know was watching Chargers before switching over to the Network. I guess they needed attendance jokes because of their own attendance issues according to my Instagram.
Nice solid opener but like the rest of the show just felt like a lot of solid stuff but nothing memorable.

2) Why no mention of someone winning in their hometown? Well I guess Hollywood is its own thing but many put LA and the Wood in the same category.
What's it say about me when I notice actresses from the Netflix show and I believe original GLOW girls but totally miss Harto and crew?
This match played out like I thought it would. Happy they didn't put the belt on Jordan. They've been doing good of late actually building him up and maybe eventually he will 'deserve it'.

3) Some of these Balor trading cards I picked are from specific matches. Maybe I have to dig in to the Network and see if those matches are worthwhile.
When I got back into watching wrestling full time what little research I did made out him and Bayley were where it was at. He was out injured and he comes back and seems to be injury prone between a concussion and seeming slight reinjury of what had put him on the shelf in the first place. Is he not going all out? So underwhelmed with him with the best thing I have seen being a Network special on the guy.
Wyatt has been a disappointment for me since moving over from Smackdown. I got and liked the cult leader aspect but without followers and just his overall activities of late he just seems bleah to me.
This match was just a mess with the before the start of match activities it really had nowhere to go.

4) How did Cesaro self hop in to the corner go so wrong? There was such a noticeable delay before he sprang but dang. Like Aleister Black after getting his nose busted at the last NXT Takeover it is hard to watch but utmost respect to continue on like it is nothing.
I understand the history but still not buying Rollins/Ambrose team. I guess I need to research there story sometime. I know Rollins has a special but Ambrose I am not sure. Ambrose with the faces, jeans, and asylum thing just comes off like some drugged up patient. he suppose to be impervious to pain? All I know is he brings his arms way to high which had me belly laughing as the crowd is going off with a 'this is awesome' chant as he threw whiff after whiff following a hot tag.
Didn't care for the match at first but really built up after the Cesaro injury. Didn't like the ending but probably my favorite match of the night.



1:36 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

5) Nia was just so awesome. They had quite a bit of the laying on the outside but her presence gave participants more of something to do because they have built her as someone you really can't go one on one with. I was hoping for Nia being the real reason Bliss won by laying out whoever she eventually pinned but was fine with Bliss laying out Bayley with her own stuff. Bayley is also unfortunately the only one built at this point for Bliss to credibly beat for the most part in the post Nia Jax partnership.
Why already announce specifically when to expect Asuka? You just killed anyone paying attention to the build up. From looks of Instagram she participated some in the recent overseas things but what if her injury becomes a problem. Would hate her to become suddenly Emmalina 2.0 if something goes wrong. Plus making it a ppv what is she going to do? She may have a rep and from these trading cards seems to have had victories over most of the RAW women roster during her NXT run but would prefer a slow build. Most of the NXT calls up I have seen of the people I had seen in my short time for the most part are put into the picture a bit to fast.

6) The most Wrestlemania moment of this match for me was the post match. I get playing up to the crowd but try and make it less obvious. I know I have prejudices when it comes to both guys but why do we not even have a moment of Cena trying to remove the armor especially after all the kick outs of the big move? They bring up the armor in the lead up. Why not doing something about it? Definitely a moment of wasting our time and taking a rest then dute dute duting in the corner while waiting for someone to get up for a Superman punch or whatever.
And the winning pin. Reign is so in Cena's gut when pinning a Superman character got to at least in the chest area to keep those shoulders down.
Yeah it's nitpick but when the show really has only two matches seeming put together as they build the rest of the card almost to the day of show you expect more and the script needing some switching and tweeking. Felt like Cena got to spam the finishers way more. Makes Reigns look like a tough son of a gun I suppose but would have preferred a keep trying until you succeed from Reigns rather than what we ended up with.

7) I get it Enzo is a merch machine and is way over with the kids but unlike Cena it is more of a doodoo caca way. A cheater with a lot of heart and not an underdog scrapping to become leader of the pack. I mean I didn't buy a lot of trading cards but find it interesting Enzo and Cass are only brought up as being the reason whatever wrestlers are celebrating their victory on the card and not actually shown. Such a weird dynamic.
To bad Ziggler is on Smackdown and not a cruiserweight to boot. The whole Ziggler thing fits perfectly with the Enzo character but stop it with the Ziggler entrance thing already. It has to be one of the reasons we aren't getting Fashion Files to make time for the Ziggler stuff that still has no real direction.

8) Did the ref like signal a two minute warning since they were closing in on the 3 hour mark? The finish just seemed to come out of nowhere and not in a sudden schoolboy or whatever way. The match just suddenly died.
Lesnar I have surprisingly liked since coming back to wrestling and unfortunately this has probably been my least favorite though it started off so strong and was loving the two monsters going at it. Very much the opposite of the tag team title match for me.

Like I said when I started was lots of solid stuff but nothing mesmerizing. Hopefully some of the storylines have ended and we get some new stuff as we head to TLC but nothing really felt definitive which is good with something like Lesnar/Braun but not so much something like Finn/Wyatt. I wonder how many reviews I read from here on out will complain about the absence of the Hardy's?

2:29 AM  
Blogger EricR said...

I have always thought Balor/Prince Devitt was overrated. When he started getting a lot of hype in the late 00s and I never liked him then, disliked him more into the 2010s, and have been completely unimpressed with his WWE stuff. I liked his match against Roman, but thought it was more Roman working a good match around him. So you're not the only one unimpressed with him.

Fully agree with you on Nia. She's been one of the few people I REALLY look forward to seeing every week.

I've also thought these long Ziggler segments have replaced Fashion Files, which makes me hate them more. I admittedly was amused by his fake Undertaker entrance.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home