Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Lucha Underground Season 2 Episode 2: The Dark & The Mysterious

1. Johnny Mundo vs. Killshot

ER: D'oh! I know I was cursing myself last week when I kept saying things like "They featured all the most important people on the first episode!!" Then right out of the gates they give me the double middle finger Killshot appearance. But really, as a whole, this wasn't bad. Killshot has really poor body language and sometimes appears to be moving in slow motion, but he also hit some of the better sequences I've seen from him here. Mundo is clearly way better as a heel as he tends to tighten some things up, and it was satisfying seeing him blast Killshot with a big elbow. The Killshot DDT off the ropes was real nasty, and him being in the wrong place kind of added to a couple moments of this match, like when Mundo hit the springboard kick that Killshot almost forgot to turn around for. This was probably the best match anybody could have hoped for.

PAS: Naw bruh, this stunk, it didn't have the blown spots one might expect from these guys, but this was also clearly chopped to shit. I can only imagine how bad the uncut version of this match is, lets hope there isn't a Lucha Underground Classics show in 10 years where we see the full versions of all the matches. I don't know if a good opponent for Killshot exists, but I know Johnny Mundo is the worst possible opponent for him. Also if you are debuting Justin Gabriel why have Killshot do a shitty 450 the match before, Gabriel is all 450, he is more 450 then the pair of guys working Mr. 450 gimmicks (WHAT UP JERELLE CLARK!! I SEE YOU HAMMETT!!), don't snatch that dudes only thing.

ER: Oh hey, Sexy Star is back. But as long as the Moth keeps her tied up and away from a wrestling ring he'll be the biggest tecnico in the company.

ER: PJ Black pulling over to fight skinny motocross guys in a motel parking lot was a little silly, but I guess you gotta give a guy something to do in vignettes. Darewolf? There wolf. There castle. Maybe he was actually supposed to do an Airwolf gimmick and the printer messed up the shirts? I know if he brought out an eye-patched Alex Cord as his manager it would be a clear upgrade over whatever a Darewolf is supposed to be. Wait was Jan Michael Vincent the wrong one legged man who Ace signed instead of Gowen??

PAS: This was one of the lazier vignettes. Don't we already have a biker stable? Don't we already have a smooth chested ex-WWE midcarder with long black hair and elaborate kick combos? When LU writers are out of ideas they just have someone randomly street fight luchadores, it has lost its luster a bit.

2. The Mack vs. PJ Black

ER: Fun debut for Black, and naturally the whole time the match was going on I was getting ready to type about how they really backed themselves into a corner by booking the debuting Black against a guy who should be featured more prominently, and how this is a step backward for Mack after having his big match with Cage at Ultima Lucha, and how he really needed to be seen winning after taking the curb stomp through the cinder block, and how he's now gonna have to take another loss and blah blah blah I was totally wrong and should have had more faith that this is not TNA and they won't just bring in any old WWE worker and immediately push them as a far bigger star than their existing talent. This was exactly the way the match should have been handled: a nice back and forth match with a decisive Mack victory, showing Black that he has his work cut out for him in this new company. Mack has potential superstar written all over him and it seems like the company realizes it. Some of Black's capoeira looked a little dodgy, but Mack was always right there with a big kick or chubby moonsault to snap me out of it. Fun stuff.

PAS: Mack looked good as usual, I loved his open hand Ronnie Garvin chops, but I am not going to give them too much credit for not doing the dumbest booking move. I was amused at how Vampiro shit all over Black and his stupid gimmick on commentary, but I don't really get the point of having an announcer do that.

ER: I'm not sure who Moon Kobra is. I couldn't recognize her from her chin/eyes. I don't think the promotion was hurting for another female as I'm not interested in seeing even more intergender matches, but if this is a step toward a woman's division I'd be happy with that.

PAS: That vignette was exactly the same as PJ Black's without the motorcycling, this fed really has a problem with doing the same thing multiple times on one show.

3. The Disciples of Death vs. Prince Puma & Pentagon Jr.

ER: Decent match, although not a great way to make your trios champs look very formidable. I like the storyline idea of Muertes the Insatiable trying to take out the people who he views as his biggest competition, but DOD didn't ever come across as very threatening even with the handicap advantage. That aside this is the best I remember the DOD looking, with the one in a white skull mask (sorry don't know their names) throwing some especially snug strikes. Puma does some crazy dives to the shock of everybody. Although I really don't like Pentagon as a put upon guy fighting the odds, I like him more as lawless monster serving a master for purposes of evil. Having him on the short side of a handicap match is just opposites day, and took away from things for me, even though the ring work wasn't bad (though it did feel choppy and a little disjointed at times).

PAS: This felt like a very lazy bit of RAW booking. Feuding tag partners in a handicap match is a lame-o wrestling trope I can't imagine anyone actually liking. Thought the work was fine, although the DOD are pretty much the Cruel Connection at this point.

ER: Final segment was really cool and exciting, and right when I heard a voice off camera I thought it sounded like Rey. I avoid spoilers as best as possible for this show, but I had heard Rey rumors. This is exciting stuff. So even though it was a clear step back from last week's debut, it was still a pleasant (and quick) hour of TV.

PAS: I am jazzed for Rey, but I would rather not have him stuck in the dipshit tar pit of the Dragon Azteca storyline. Still Rey is the best.


LUCHA UNDERGROUND EPISODE GUIDE

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home