Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

MLJ: Virus vs Rocky Romero [CMLL SL]

2004-12-10 @ Arena México
Rocky Romero vs Virus [CMLL SL]

22:23 in

So in my search for Negro Casas vs Tarzan Boy, I came across this. We really don't have a ton of Virus online from 2000 to 2009 or so. And this isn't just Virus but title match Virus against, at the least, an interesting opponent. Romera was in as Habana Brother I and he was the first Super Lightweight champion. Virus had beaten him back around a year before, though it doesn't look like he defended it too many times. Averno and Volador, Jr. were the seconds.

I'm really glad I bumped into this one, because it's a great look at a younger Virus, firmly into the gimmick, and with some momentum. Some of the general rules that apply to younger Negro Casas apply here too. He showed his usual mastery on the mat, had that sense of competition and struggle, even when they were doing quick pin spots, but he did everything about 25% faster than he does now and while that's not the most important thing in the world to me, it was still great to see him lock in his complex holds at the higher speed.

Romero was fine. He had some vaguely indytastic offense but it fit the match they were working. Even the more elaborate strikes didn't seem nearly as choreographed as they could have. He also brought enough attitude and general emotion (especially frustration) to things that it made the fans get behind Virus when he was fighting his way out of holds. I don't think I'd ever heard a Virus chant before seeing this match.

I just wish more Virus from this era was online. One of these days I'm actually going to go out and try to see if I can find the Ricky Marvin title matches and the Fuerza/Juventud singles matches. Virus is worth it. Anyway, check this one out.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home