Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Thursday, September 03, 2015

All Japan Motherload - Ricky Steamboat vs. The Sheik - AJPW 6/11/81



ER: Best Sheik singles match ever? Okay, that can come off like I'm ranking the best brand of truck to get run over by. I'll rephrase it as "I watched an actual good Sheik match." This is actually one of my favorite Steamboat performances too. Now, I also don't really like Steamboat that much. I'm that guy. He's probably my least liked "undisputed great worker". He has been a part of plenty matches I liked - even loved (the Rude iron man is a favorite) but his work just doesn't speak to me. Here he showed an aggression that I wish was far more common in his matches. Sheik actually showed up looking like he wanted to work, bumping right out of the gate for a couple nice dropkicks. Steamboat grabs a nasty side headlock and works over Sheik for awhile, one of the more compelling headlocks you'll see in a match. Sheik put it over great, and before long we get to spike action with Steamboat immediately knocking it out of Sheik's hands and using it himself. Sheik gets busted open which leads to an awesome moment of Sheik choking Steamboat on the floor while bleeding onto Ricky's chest and face. Steamboat flips it and looks like a lunatic while strangling Sheik, even holding up Sheik's head to get more leverage on the choke. This whole thing was awesome, from two guys I normally don't care about. Plus, the youtube file calls him "Steambort" which has made me laugh at least 4 times.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

steambort. lol

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home