Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Monday, July 11, 2011

My Favorite Wrestling: WCW Saturday Night 9/4/99

The Cat vs. Disciple

Well...there was that opener. Did you actually know Disciple of all people was still appearing on TV this late in '99? I mean, Warrior hadn't even been in WCW for almost a year at this point. Maybe WCW thought there were just too many more match-ups his fans wanted to see. They wanted to send him off properly.

Villano V vs. Lash LeRoux

This was pretty darn fun. Villano got tons of offense including a couple senton variations and an awesome Thesz press off the apron that was much more a running leaping balls to the face. Awesome. I don't care much for Lash, but he gives Villano most of the match before finishing him, so for that I am thankful.

Scotty Riggs vs. Scott Putski

OK, somebody name a WORSE major roster worker in 1999 than Scott Putski. First, I did not realize Putski was still gainfully employed in late 1999; second, I cannot see HOW he was gainfully employed in 1999. He is clearly the worst guy on this entire roster. His punches were totally absurd and even little things like running ropes were totally baffling to him. Who could have been sitting in the back justifying Putski's spot on the roster? It's a shame we didn't get Putski vs. Disciple, since I'm sure this was their last appearances with the company. They could have gone out in a real blaze of glory. And it deprived us of Putski vs. Konnan. Or Putski vs. Stevie Ray.

Brian Knobbs vs. 4x4

OK, I was insanely excited for Knobbs vs. 4x4, and for 90 seconds I was not let down. I actually didn't even realize 4x4 ever wrestled a match. His size is absolutely silly as he's fat, but also lifts, so he has these enormous arms and lats but a really flabby stomach, and he's squeezed into this awesomely goofy spaghetti strap camouflage tank top. The second he sloooowly rolls into the ring Knobbs is ON him and starts stiffing the shit out of him in the corner with some nasty front and back elbows. 4x4 doesn't really know what to do as he is clearly lost and out of his element, and Knobbs nails a nice corner charge. Knobbs bumps around nicely for 4x4 and I am beginning to really enjoy 1999 Brian Knobbs. This ends WAY too soon as Flynn and Morrus of the First Family run in, followed by a hilarious run in by Swoll and Brad Armstrong (seeing 4x4 and Swoll standing on either side of Brad Armstrong and the look of confusion on my girlfriend's face as she walked in the room was awesome. I could not explain very well to her why Swoll and 4x4 were hanging out with Brad Armstrong). Quite the spectacle of a match here.

Texas Outlaws vs. Barry & Kendall Windham

And YES! The Windhams IN ACTION! Seriously, best team of 1999 right here. The more I see of them the more I am convinced. I always thought it was the Texas Hangmen, btw, not Outlaws (assuming this is Mean Mike/Tough Tom under the hoods). Barry and Kendall cut off the ring all through this bitch and this is WRASSLIN right here. Outlaws get a great hope fall with a hooded switcheroo/roll up (which I totally suckered for, seriously. I mean, usually hooded switches lead to wins. I can't think of one that didn't off the top of my head...), and then more big ass boots from Kendall and this is just the best. Kendall and Barry had a contest to see who had a better punch (I think Kendall won), and you could tell they were having a blast just teaming together.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Mike and Tom. For some reason, they just started calling them the Outlaws instead. WCW.

12:21 PM  
Blogger S.L.L. said...

There is at least one Iceman Parsons/Super Destroyer singles match where that finish happens. Their prior matches had the Destroyers pull the switcheroo while the ref wasn't looking to score the win, but eventually, they had a match where they tried it, only for the fresh Destroyer to get rolled up for a flash pin.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home