Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, November 07, 2009

WELCOME TO ATLANTA- Juster Lucha Retro Road Report

ATLANTA LUCHA SHOW REPORT - Oct. 5, 2003
Weeks in the writing
TKG: I got prose in different area codes.
PAS: Don't Start No Shit Won't Be No Shit
SATURDAY:
TKG: So I’m vomiting when Phil calls me up to ask when exactly we’re meeting : “We meet when I see you” click “BLAUUURGH!”

PAS: I am an LSAT tutor and the test was in a week, so this trip was really ill advised. But it's lucha so sacrifices must be made. I tutored from 10am - 4pm after DJaying till 2:30ish the night before. So I was suffering a bit, clearly not as much as my compatriot.

TKG: So I get to what used to be George Washington National Airport, meet Phil who looks worse than I feel. He looks completely pale and pasty. He really looked like a nervous Greek terrorist, planning to bomb the Embassy of Majorca. I decide it would be a good idea to get him to eat something before we go through security-so its California Pizza. I struggle to eat my Pizza, and call Dirty Wayne for location of the black strip club with a barbershop that he recommended. Wayne can’t remember name of place, and I’m pissed… I really wanted to simultaneously get a high top fade and a lap dance.

PAS: I spent the wait time reading Ghetto Celebrity by Donnell Alexander and listening to the new Outkast album, in an attempt to get into the ATL spirit, Big Boi section of the album owned, the Andre 3000 disc mixed some 80's Prince funk with 2000 Artist formally known as Prince useless artistic embellishments. Reagan airport California Pizza Kitchen is worst California Pizza Kitchen ever.

TKG: Somehow both Phil and me manage to get through airport security and we’re off. Flight marshals leave us alone… uneventful flight. We meet Wes at the Airport and wander around trying to find where he parked.

PAS: Pre midnight portion of Saturday night really had a holiday appropriate wandering the desert feel to it. Wes makes a really amusing Moses.

TKG: On the airplane we realized that we should have checked McGrath’s column to see if there were any Atlanta area shows Saturday night. I would be pissed if we were in the area and missed Stro vs. Ray Lloyd, or Buddy Lee Parker vs. Dave Taylor , or Zbysco vs. Iceberg, etc, etc. Phil calls Dean and gets him to act as our personal wrestling concierge.

PAS: There was a Bull Buchannen v. Tank headlined show at a fair about an hour away but decided against the attempt, as we had already missed the undercard, and that would have had the Scotty McKeever match.

TKG: We laugh and laugh as Dean fights the 1wrestling pop-ups.

TKG: Wes had mapquest directions to Abby’s which of course fucks him up. FUCK MAPQUEST. We drive and drive and drive. I’m convinced that Atlanta is ginormous based on the amount of driving we do. Wes is really amusing during the entire drive, and we mocked all of you…yes each and everyone of you.

PAS: Exodus 16: "The whole Israelite community set out from Elim and came to the Desert of Sin, which is between Elim and Sinai, on the fifteenth day of the second month after they had come out of Egypt. In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. The Israelites said to them, "If only we had died by the LORD's hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death."

TKG: We did the crosscultural music exploration as Wes put on the awesome Youngbloods album. Favorite track being “Damn!” with the hook of “Don’t start no shit and there won’t be no shit”. I also was amused by “Tequilla” as the song sounded like it could have been a Motorhead tune. How many rap tracks can you say that bout?

TKG: We find Abby’s after its closed. But was still thrilled to see Abby’s. We decide to come back Sunday. Then I comment “Wait, I bet Abby is religious. Doesn’t he seem religious? He’s probably a deacon. I bet he’s not open on Sunday” we look and unfortunately, I’m right. I keep on picturing Abby as a Sherman Helmsley at beginning of “Amen”; parking in his parking space in the church parking lot marked “Reserved for Deacon The Butcher”, jumping in the middle of a double dutch game, arguing with his daughter Thelma, etc.

PAS: The menu looked amazing, there was this incredible mural of Abby holding up a title belt, with light shining in the back. The kind of setup which stimulated salivial glands. Really the only disappointment of the whole trip and the missing of Abby's will probably get us back to Atlanta, even with the shitty Parkas v. Santo + Perro Jr. main event of the next Juster show.

PAS: After a greasetastic meal at Waffle House we decide to head to a gentlemans establishment. Wes said he knew of two strip clubs, he says that there is one near his house but it was "pretty ghetto" we say PERFECT and we head off to the Pin Up in scenic Decatur GA. The security was significantly tighter at the Pin Up then it was a Reagan National so there is no way that Al Qeada can hijack Tanisha and drive her implants into the CNN center or something.

PAS: There was a drunk guy in a RIP DeMarcus memorial T-Shirt who greeted us in the Def Comedy Jam white guy voice "Hey fellas, how ya doing." I found this odd, if we were gleefully going into the Pin Up at 1:30 am we were clearly comfortable enough with the African American experience to be unfazed by this 5'7 guy attempting to intimidate us with his blackness. Save that shit for the white ladies buying scalped Falcons tickets from you.

TKG: The strip club rules hard. I’m used to being the only white person in a place, I’m not used to being the only person without metal plated teeth. At one point me and two guys who looked like Fresh Kid Ice’s illegit kids with full gold teeth and chardonnay glasses filled with Cisco, stood at the round stage admiring this dancer who was able to yoyo a sliver of juice lower and lower and up and down from her vagina. I didn’t think vaginal control like that was possible. If you put a couple dollars on the round stage she’d put her stuff right up in your face and you could try to dislodge the liquid strand by blowing on her cootchie. The stripper in the Anthony Mason jersey, the DJ playing nothing but local records cut by Trick Daddy’s cousin’s neighbor…yep after all that driving, now I felt like I was in Atlanta.

PAS: The DJ patter was amazing. He would cut the songs out mid hook to berate the patron's. " I thought we had some playaz in heaer, yall ain't nothing but some bustas, we need to get 6 dollars on the round stage" "If you at the bar and ain't drinkin you need to get to a table, if you ain't buyin a drink or gettin a dance you need to hit your car." I have already appropriated large chunks of it to use on cheapskate non-tipping Karoke Bar customers. The only other white guy in the place was this creepy current Mikey Whipwreck looking meth head bouncer, who was way smaller then almost anyone in the place, but really looked like he could carve his graffiti tag in your chest with his butterfly knife before you could even lift your fists.

TKG: So a stripper with two gold plated teeth and a large “DADDY” tattoo across her belly offers to give us lap dances in the VIP area, where you’re allowed to touch. Mya lays out the prices for a half hour, 45 minutes and an hour but strongly recommends that I go for an hour.
“If you pay for an hour I’ll make you cum”
Me: “Don’t worry, I’ll only need 45 minutes”.
I tell her that I’m going to need more money and have to go the ATM. At which point Mya says “If you want I can do that for you”. Do I look like I’m from Kansas????

TKG: There are no lap dances in DC so I have no real experience, but at the point she asked “Do you have a condom” I am really unclear as to what’s allowed in this type of dancing. It’s really odd when you don’t know the rules as I was left feeling really gentle. I’ve never felt like a “gentleman” before. But here I was with a girl who could rhythmically alternatively pulse her vagina and her asshole to the music and I felt gentle and cautious. Didn’t want to cross any lines. Was concerned that I didn’t want to do anything that would surprise her. Felt like I had to ask permission before doing anything. I mean this is ME, I’ve never done any of that before, never been gentle before. I just do things, I don’t ask for permission or have any concern. I’m the guy who’ll gleefully piss in your Brita cause you refused to swallow…and here I am being gentle and concerned. I’m not used to feeling like a gentleman. Gentle. I mean there I was worrying about not acting inappropriate. I was asking for permission before I did anything “Can I slap your ass?” “ Can I pinch your nipple?”, “Is it ok if I stick my thumb in your asshole?”….it was like I was at Antioch.

PAS: I am such a neurotic Jew that the only thing I was thinking during my turn was that I only brought one pair of pants for this whole trip.

TKG: I leave the VIP area dehydrated and rejoin Wes in the main area. The strippers leave Wes alone, while me and Phil look like mark white guys in glasses. More strippers keep approaching me asking if I want a dance. I’m worn out at this point. “Not to this tune, I’m waiting for a foxtrot”

SUNDAY:
TKG: We meet Wes in the morning and head off to find Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken and Waffle. I call to make sure they’re open. There’s something great about the fact that Abdullah the Butcher’s is closed on Sunday, but the restaurant owned by actual Gospel stars stays open.

PAS: Abby's belief in Jesus is clearly untainted by the commerce aspects of Gladys and Ron. He makes his money with the devil but his heart is with the lord.

TKG: Gladys and Ron’s is on Peachtree Street which means we have to pass Peachtree Road, Peachtree Battle Road, Peachtree Ave, Peachtree Lane, Peachtree Memorial St, Peachtree Industrial Road, Peachtree Circle and about fifteen more variations of Peachtree in order to get there. I swear the most uncreative city planner named the streets, as every other street is some variation on Peachtree. I don’t think we ever saw any peach trees.

PAS: At some point the drive really feels like a bad section of an episode of Family Matters, the Winslows go to visit Erkels southern cousin, and just know he lives on Peachtree.

TKG: Gladys and Ron’s was really tasty and cheap. But it had a very upscale look to it. Not just upscale compared to the strip club and Abby’s but actual legit upscale. Again the only other white person there was a knomeish looking guy. It was like Atlanta is filled with Jim Norton nephews. We were the most underdressed folks there, be a nice place to take a date. I ordered the “Midnight Train”and the “Uptown”.

PAS: The creepy knomish waiter really looked like the meth head bouncer in disguise, I think it is possible Kate hired a P.I. to follow me around Atlanta, I then think of what kind of explanation I can think up for Mya.

TKG: Arrive at the Gwinnet Center on time to see Santo and a Villano doing radio interviews. Santo wears a neat silver gym suit. Villano V wears a striking beige guayabera. And so begins an evening of wrestlers with great sartorial taste.

PAS: Man I need to go shopping at what ever shirt store is next to Arena Mexico

TKG: At ticket booth I ask this country ass white lady for “tres para admission general”. She asks “You want general admission?”. I am fool. Me and her strike up a conversation as she has never “seen anything like this before. Its wild”.

TKG: Doors open at 4:00 show scheduled to start at 6:00, no merchandise tables. Just one T-shirt and some smiley face and Mexican flag pins. Shit there were about 4,000 people at the show---you need to have shirts, masks and posters for every worker there, let alone a overpriced program for the event.

PAS: Wrestling is alot like a indy music festival, all real money should be made at the tables. There is no way I should have left Atlanta without a Villanos Gym T-Shirt.

TKG: They let us into actual seating area about 5:00 and keep us from getting too restless by repeatedly playing Mexican Anthem. The ring is bouncier looking than most lucha rings and really small. A set of ring crew guys come out with fork lift to put mats around ring. These were thick about 6 inch mats that they lined whole outside of ring area with. Aw fuck how are they gonna catch dives on that shit. Then out comes Brazo De Oro looks at the mats disgustingly and then kicks at them in anger. He points to a ring crew guy and then jumps on the mats and then mimes a guy slipping on a moonbounce “Get rid of this shit”. Brazo de Oro single handedly saves show. The ring crew removes the mats. Even if all the matches sucked, the whole trip would have been worth it just to watch Brazo de Oro take charge of the ring crew.

THE SHOW:

Masda vs. Sicodelico Jr.:

TKG: I often mock indy and WWE workers who wear lifts but it was odd as hell to see both of these guys in their absolutely flat wrestling boots. Not only did they not have lifts…they didn’t even have soles.

TKG: The Villanos must have took everyone aside before the show started and lectured them: “Ok you’re in Atlanta this is how you work Atlanta crowds…stiff chop sections” Every match had stiff chop sections but this wasn’t the Omni, and not a “whoo!” was heard. Actually this entire match started like it was an opener at the Omni. As it started real slow deliberate with simple single body part work and real telegraphed face/heel stuff. Masada was great at the heel stalling. Sicodelico did some face stalling that I thought was also good. The whole first half of match really felt like it was layed out by Jim Cornette. Sicodelico Jr does a first rope tornado in ring plancha. And I began to wonder if they were running with Watts top rope rules. I mean not even a second rope move but a first rope move.

PAS: I could see Steve Armstrong and Rip Rogers working the exact same first five minutes of this match as the opening of a Flair v. Luger main evented show in 1990 or so. Or Mike Jackson and Shaska Whatley opening a Flair v. Dusty in 1985. I could also stretch and see Shaska and Rip bumping as big as Masada does at the end.

TKG: The slow start actually built as then they moved to a bigger impact section and the move seemed really smooth. It wasn’t like “well here’s the low impact body and heres the hot finish”. It built nicely from one part to the next. A couple suplexes, Masda takes some HUGE bumps. Goes for a plancha to only get superkicked before landing…to splat on the pavement. They brawl on outside. And Masda takes a big powerbomb on floor. Match ends with Sicodelico doing a top rope cross body which really felt like a finish. When’s the last time you watched a match that ended with a crossbody and you said to yourself “No way he’s kicking out of that”??

PAS: Masda is crazy charismatic and plays a great evil Japaneese guy. He does some 2003 Japaneese generic moves like the facewash and the Tenryu chop + punch combo. Those really feel like the 21st century version of thrust kicks and mist for the generic Nipponeesse offense. Masda does both really well

Pierrothcito vs. Pequeno Violencia:

TKG: Before we walked in I heard the radio announcer going through card mention that there was going to be a Boricua on the card, but I wasn’t able to make out who. I was like “aw fuck” , and then it turns out to be the one EMLL Boricua I really dig. Pierrothcito. Pierrothcito comes out and does the whole Volkoff….I want everyone to stand so I can sing the Puerto Rican National Anthem bit. Pequeno Violencia (who oddly is in the boricua colors) defends Mexico and gets people to try to drown it out with the Mexican anthem.

TKG: They do a ridiculously stiff chop section for midgets. It felt less like a chop section than a New Japan dueling clothesline section. Fuck stiffer than that. They also work superfast pace series of exchanges. They do a knucklelock section with the Mexican mini getting the best which leads to mini-Pierroth doing push ups. Someone in the WWE needs to steal Mini-Violencia’s push up comedy spot. Mini-violencia does the Nicho bump in the corner and goes for a huge top rope plancha to floor but Pierrothcito is really the star of this match. Moments where he looked Espectrito like in his Kinglyness. He wins with a series of nasty arm drags that looked Zangiev shoot style and then cranks an arm and back submission on the lil Violencia getting the tap.

PAS: Based on this match and some EMLL I think Mini-Pieroth is probably pretty close to the top midget in the world. If you just count U.S. midgets, I think he is definitely better then Little Bobby Dean, Tony Kozina or Quiet Storm.

TKG: After the match they do a long mic section so mini-Violencia can get his heat back. Is anyone that worried about mini-Violencia's heat?

Mascara Sagrada vs. Arkangel de La Muerte:

TKG: They announce that this is the original Sagrada and I’m not sure if that’s supposed to be a good thing or not. We joke as to whether Sagrada is Borne, Apollo or Lombardi. I vote that its Mutoh as he wrestled a lot like Mutoh. Opening poor matwork (that thankfully Arkangel was able to move around and make interesting) . Sagrada manages to do a crossbody with his feet barely leaving the ground . It was a shining crossbody as he kind of climbed up Arkangels knee to execute it. Then he does a couple dragon screws and goes for dueling stretch plumbs. Dueling stretch plumbs in a lucha match!!! I swear it was Mutoh. Best Mutoh match I’ve seen in ages.

PAS: Arkangel was really great in this as he totally held it together, really nice in ring and out of ring bumps. Juster is definitely paying these guys pretty good, because Sagrada was busting his ass, taking big in ring bumps, hitting a tope, all while huffing air so badly that you could see it through his mask. They did a mascara contra mascara challenge which I would be into.

TKG: Man was Sagrada huffing air. You could watch his entire chest cavity fill up and empty out through his outfit. I thought he was gonna inhale his mask he was sucking air so hard. Most impressive performance by blown up wrestler of the year.

Hamada vs. Princess Sugieth:

TKG: Wow these women are tiny. Tiny tiny women. It was like a battle of women small enough for Phil to date. Masda comes out seconding Hamada and rules as heel enraging the crowd. Hamada needed to have ropes tightened inorder to execute her springboard dives and Masda is able to turn her demand for rope tightening into a pussy heel stall. Pequeno Violencia comes out to second Sugieth in flip flops black slacks and a striking red guayabera with black lace work.

PAS: Combined with his anthemising is the first match, Pequeno Violencia was clearly booked in the Hacksaw Jim Duggan patriotic defender role. I know Mexicans are short, but I don’t understand booking a midget as defender of Mexico. I also was really amused about seeing the big red belt defended in a comedy undercard lucha match in Atlanta.

TKG: This started with some nice mat work. And then it fell apart into a brawl for large sections. Sugieth mostly did a bunch of US style knee slap kicks..for knee slap kicks they were good looking knee slap kicks. Hamada was real fun and impressive selling big for them. Ayako sold more for the knee slap kicks to the butt them than most joshi wrestlers sell for shoot kicks to the face. Ayako was fun stooging and bumping around for Sugieth. On the other hand, outside of her big dives, Hamada for the most part didn’t look good on offense as she did a lot of sloppy looking drop kicks. The last five minutes of this were real good as was real hot finish and I bought the near falls and almost believed that they might actually switch the title in Atlanta.

PAS: I thought this was seventy percent shtick and there was some really sloppy spots. Still this was much better then any of Kaoru Ito Red Belt Defenses I have seen.

TKG: I liked this more than Phil did. Still the weakest match on the card.

Villanos IV & V/Negro Casas vs. Brazo de Oro/Brazo de Plata/Sicodelico Jr.

PAS: Just amazing match, one of the most enjoyable live wrestling experiences of my life. Villanos come in with awesome Mexican flag panchos and Casas is just exfoliating charisma. Brazos get a big ass pop, and Porky takes off his kimono and flosses his ass with it. Juster's daughter or whoever the ring girl was, holds the robe by the tip, selling the disgustingness of Porky’s crotch the whole way back to the locker room.

TKG: Not only did the Villanos have panchos with the Mexican Flag on the front. They also had the Virgin of Guadalupe on the back. Yep the Virgin Mother on their entrance robes and they were the heels. This was the only three falls match on the show and after all the one falls matches you could really feel how much of a difference a three falls match makes.

TKG: . Villanos vs. Brazos was the big draw for me on this card as its always a match that rules. For history of the Brazos/Villanos feud check out http://www.geocities.com/lacuartacaida1/so...chalibre01.html . Somehow we end up on the technicos side of the arena as the other side was clearly the porro rudo. But fuck I liked everyone here enough that I was willing to be in the face cheering section.

PRIMERA CAIDA:

TKG: Super Porky and Villano V go for amateur wrestling in the partier. Porky imitates Rulon Gardner as well no way is Villano able to reach around for any kind of leverage. Villano V takes partier and is CRUSHED. Negro Casas is on fire. Him and Brazo de Oro exchange great forearms. And really work well together on the mat. Normally I find De Oro’s mat work to be lacking something but it always comes across better when he’s matched up with a Villano and well Casas and him worked super tight with each other. . Casas dismissively shadow boxes at the young Sicodelico J. Sicodelico Jr comes back with some hard punches leading to Casas stooging it up for the young technico. Later he comes back with front chancery on Jr…in a real surly old man on young disrespectfull young punk spot.

PAS: Casas really looked like the best wrestler in this world in this match. It wasn't just that his work was flawless, it was that every interaction, every facial expression, every bump, every pantomime was done perfectly. He did an amazing job in this fall getting the crowd to give a shit about Siclidelico Jr., who was a last minute fill in with no history with anyone. By the end of this match he was as over as anyone and that was all Casas. There were sections of Porky comedy and sections of Casas comedy, but they didn't detract from the force and violence of the wrestling. This was markedly different from the Parka comedy in the main event, where you almost felt like you took a break from the match to watch Parka shtick.

TKG: Between caidas Casas is great interacting with fans drinking their beer, etc.. Really I’d love to get a dvd of this match where you could choose to watch only Casas for entire match. Hell I’d be psyched for an only Porky only Brazo de Oro or only Villano IV or V feature. It just really great as even when not involved in the action they were all constantly doing something. Reacting to action anticipating getting in ring, selling, whatever.

SEGUNDA CAIDIA

TKG: This was just rudos beating shit out of technicos and technicos beating dogshit out of rudos. I LOVE ME LUCHA BRAWLING. Casas flies out of ring with amazing silla that slams him and opponent into chair. Villano IV does a hanging suplex into a floatover and Brazo de Oro breaks up the pin in the greatest pin break up ever. He just steps on back of Villano IV’s ankle. Next time Dean starts up with his “Did I ever tell you the story of the time I saw Dick Murdoch punching Harley RACE right in the face…” I’m gonna get to reply with “Did I ever tell you about the time that I saw Brazo de Oro recklessly step on Villano IV’s instep to break a pin.”

PAS: God that Silla was amazing. This match was really about Porky and Casas, but Oro is really great at doing little things which make his sections of the match really great. He is like a great character actor, who doesn't upstage the stars, but really makes the piece.

TERCERA CAIDIA:

PAS: This had the dive train which was really freaking great. Oro hit a nice over the top tope where he overshot Villano V and had to adjust to belly buck V’s head in mid air. Villano IV justs kills Oro with one of those dives that really looks like it would hurt like shit, not just pretty, but the top of Villanos head right into Oro's jaw crazy fast and hard. Then Casas motions to the crowd on the floor "HERE I COME MOTHERFUCKER" he is saying with his body motion, meanwhile Porky is right behind him, he runs into a Porky belly block, which sends him to the floor, and then Porky his an amazing fucking tope which must have been like Superman throwing a piano at you. Casas wins the battle of wits though, as he runs away and goes to sit on a chair as everyone else gets crushed. Just beautiful professional wrestling.

TKG: The match had a bunch of fake fouls which actually were really neat as they acted as transition. One team had too much momentum other team would use a fake foul to slow the match down get back in control of the match pace. You fake a foul the ref has to slow everything down decide if its legit or not everyone has to argue their case, etc. The fake foul was like those matches where the heel will complain about pulling of tights after losing a series of exchanges, inorder to go from complaining to ref to transitioning to offense…. except with infinitely more variations. Also they transitioned from the fake foul (which usually a comedy spot) to the violent brawling really well.

Santo/La Parka vs. Felino/Pentagon Black

TKG: They announce Felino as one of the fastest luchadors working. I laugh as that was probably true in 94 but hasn’t been true for a while. Then fuck that, Felino proves me wrong and works fast as all fuck. Santo is Santo and super crisp at everything he does. Parka was mostly schtick and enziguris.

PAS: Parka was good during the heat segments, but outside of that he was disappointing. Felino and Santo’s sections were amazing, but there wasn’t enough of them to save this match. Ref comedy shtick was amusing but doesn’t belong in the main event. The midget match had significantly less comedy then the main event, and that ain’t right.

TKG: This match needed to have multiple falls. It had really nice parts. Long hot tag section with Felino and Pentagon Black cutting off ring working over Parka’s shoulder. Felino did a great top rope headbutt to shoulder and Black had some nice quick punches to shoulder while stretching Parka ( real low-rent Regal stuff from Pentagon Black with the strikes in submission…but low rent Regal is more than what I normally expect out of Black). There was a overly long ref comedy section which if isolated wouldn’t have hurt the match that much. There was a nice finish. But the match really had trouble moving from one section to the next and fell apart. It really needed to be split into falls.

TKG: Santo and Parka go into long section of mic work. Santo channels Helmsley vs. Booker and a million Ole speeches… Santo talks about being a wrestler while Parka is just a showman….since when is Parka black? After all that, Santo challenges Parka to mano a mano match for next show. And I’m stoked. Santo says fuck that lets make it mask v mask…and well I know that ain’t happening so I’m let down. . Parka counters with “I’ll get Super Parka and you can get a partner of your choice even Perro Aguayo and we’ll have it out” Bah! Santo must be a big GCW fan, I’ve never heard his mic work sound that much like Wildfire…I fully expected him to challenge Parka to a cage match at the Omni.

PAS: I had a freaking blast in Atlanta and was ready to take the trip back, but I don’t think this match is getting me to come back. If you give me a rematch of the semi-main though Juster gets my $20 and United gets my $130, I am not sure if Mya will get my $200 though.

TKG: Wes was fun to hang with and real fun to watch the lucha with. Wes doesn’t really follow lucha and it was neat seeing him get into it. Neat listening to him comment on how smooth Santo’s execution of everything is. Neat to see a jaded East Coast indy fan, marking out for Negro Casas and the lucha brawling. This was about 4000 people who showed up and were entertained by EMLL old style lucha. This wasn’t the AAA 94 stuff that tricked all the WON readers into creaming their pants. This wasn’t the currently overrated lucharesu matches where GDI and Wagner decide to sell like NJ wrestlers. This was old style classic lucha and it had the crowd by the balls. I’m not to psyched about Perro Jr and Super Parka. But if they bring in the Dinamitas or run Rayo vs. Canek….I’m so there.

PAS: After the show we went and ate a bunch a food at a cheesy mall fake Caribbean place. Good wings though. Let me give another shout out to Wes, who was one of the best hosts I have ever had on a visit. Truly king sized effort on his part and a great guy to hang out with

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Lamb said...

Gary Juster is actually my realtor. When my wife and I were buying our first house, he took us to Abby's and we got to listen to the two talk shop while we all feasted on tolerable soul food. It was awesome.

~rl

12:19 PM  
Blogger Kris Zellner said...

I hope you put up the 2nd one featuring me & Wes as your travel companions. That was good times.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Tremendous report ... Love the complete detail of your Saturday.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Wes said...

What a trip down memory lane. Those Lucha shows were so much fun. I had a blast hanging out with you all and Kris.

I hope I was well behaved

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home