Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fab Five WWE Matches of the Week 9/14-9/20

1. Finlay v. Dolph Ziggler Superstars 9/15

The only really good match of the week. I think this is the best Ziggler has looked, he always bumps well, but most of the time his offense doesn't look ready for prime time. Here he actually had a nice straight right hand and hard elbow smash, and his weird neck lock was by far the coolest looking thing I have seen him do. Finlay is always a total pleasure, I loved the unlace the boots spot, and chasing Ziggler into the crowd, plus he broke out the Santo headscissors which is one of my favorite moves in wrestling history. You also have to dig him coming up with new ways to use the ring skirt, crotching Ziggler on a dive. I would love to see these guys have a PPV match if Ziggler wins the IC title.

2. John Morrison v. Mike Knox Smackdown 9/15

Morrison hate is pretty deep amongst the internet roads I travel on, but he isn't a guy I have a huge problem with. Here he broke out a couple of nice spots, including a very pretty Asai, and took a nice mid level beating from Knox. The jumping kick to the back of the head by Knox was the spot of the week, and I still totally mark out for the body press. Fun TV match

3. Christian v. Paul Burchill Superstars 9/15

Christian has gotten pretty great at working these solid TV matches will limited greenish guys. This wasn't as good as the Swagger matches or the Zach Ryder match, but I enjoyed it. Christian didn't take any huge bumps to the floor, although eating a fisherman buster from the top is pretty damn crazy, Burchill using that as a set up to attempt a stroke variation is pretty dumb. Still don't have much of an opinion of Burchill, but this was probably the best he has looked.

4. Chris Jericho v. Batista Smackdown 9/15

Shortish big star main event which was perfectly fine. This kind of thing is pretty formula, kill some time with some body part work, go into a finisher counter section. I do still really like Batista's spinebuster, and while I think the codebreaker is kind of a dumb move, I liked Batista catching it and countering it into the powerbomb. Still this need five more minutes to be something memorable.

5. ECW Battle Royal ECW 9/15

First part of this was legitimately dull, with lots of guys wandering around throwing clubbing forearms. Still when it narrowed down it got pretty good, as I love to see the crowd getting behind Goldust. I am amused by Ryder's shtick, but I am not sold on him as a #1 contender and am hoping they move back to Regal soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Andy said...

Thanks for doing these. Sometimes it's hard to sort though everything and find the gems. These lists have made it way easier

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home