Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, February 18, 2023

WWE Elimination Chamber 2/18/23 Live Blog


Do they not do Kickoff Show matches anymore? We really need a full hour of video packages and talking heads with no wrestling? Either way, I'm excited for how excited people are for this show. WWE hasn't felt like any kind of Hot Product in several years now, but people are downright buzzing about this show. That's pretty cool man. I haven't been watching the TV but I watched Rumble, and my boy Martin caught me up on the angles. I'm in, I can't pretend I have better things to do on a winter Saturday. 


1. Women's Chamber: Natalya vs. Liv Morgan vs. Asuka vs. Raquel Rodriguez vs. Carmella vs. Nikki Cross

ER: This is the best haircut Natalya has ever had, but it coincides with her face turning into a face that is more like Dana's Brooke's 2nd to 3rd face and it would have looked better with Natalya's own face. They got Raquel into the match took quick and all it lead to was Too Many Three Way Spots. I wanted Raquel killing individuals down the stretch. I can't be the only one who can't stand Nikki Cross acting like an annoying 7 year old's impression of an annoying 7 year old, right? Raquel's ring post bump looks good, Liv's bump into the pod looks better, but Liv makes a dumber face after the bump. Feels dumb to go to a big Nikki Crossbody spot wiping out everyone so early, because it just leads to everyone lying on the mat exhausted at like 6 minutes in. Carmella gets nearfalls on everyone who took a single crossbody block 4 minutes ago. Raquel is a wrestler who is great at saving matches like this. Maybe it's not that she has a track record of doing so, but she has the ability to force a long gimmick match into being something good in a way that Liv Morgan or Natalya will never have. When Raquel starts breaking out the big shit - running Nikki through a pod, pulling girls off the cage, taking a huge bump on a top rope sunset flip - the match finally comes alive. 

Raquel ramps up the crowd for two minutes, all leading to Asuka's big entrance, the perfect mood setter. Asuka knows how hot to come in, and Liv's missile dropkick to finally stop her looked great. Liv keeps getting bigger and bigger reactions the phonier her character seems. I thought people in Montreal had no time for phonies? I thought the people of Montreal were the kind of people to announce to the room "Are there any Fake People here? Because if you are, I respect your stance, but get the fuck out of my party"? Liv, you're fake. The run to the finish felt real quick, I think too quick. I'm seeing the words I'm typing and I see myself asking for more time from a Brand PPV WWE Gimmick Match, but this really did feel too short. The eliminations piled up too quick and all felt underdone. At the same time, I thought they actually did the complicated multi-man stuff and big bumps really well, and Asuka/Bianca is a match I would want to see much more than Bianca/Liv. Good match, but could have used a couple of better one on one showdowns. 


2. Brock Lesnar vs. Bobby Lashley 

Bobby Lashley's King Kong entrance is incredible. Think how much better it would be without a giant stupid PS2 graphic Bobby Lashley making a dead eye posing face. I'm excited for this match. I did a Royal Rumble live blog last month and was actually pissed when Lesnar got eliminated from the match so early. In response, now Brock tries to eliminate Lashley's shoulder socket by bouncing him across the ring with a belly to belly. I wish Lashley threw even more behind his spear, but the full nelson stuff was cool and the F5 power out was cool, but isn't it kind of weird how the F5 isn't a killshot? Like Lesnar is turning the F5 into Suplex City but without replacing it with anything more dangerous? I assume the reason he never brought back the stretch muffler was because he wound up shredding everyone's knee ligaments? Because bring that back. Finish was bunk, match pacing got tanked once they started spamming finishers and then Lashley didn't do enough with the full nelson to make it seem dire. Lesnar needed to be way more purple to seem like a man in real desperate danger, like 5 hours of terrible sex purple. 


Boy that Seth Rollins Joker stuff is just about the dorkiest shit around huh? Cowards couldn't even pay for the pedophile hockey arena song? 


3. Rhea Ripley/Finn Balor vs. Edge/Beth Phoenix 

ER: I should like a couple that looks like absolute shit, but I just cannot get into the couple of Edge and Beth Phoenix. I think they actually finally figured out the Beth Pompadour. They took the bulk out of the sides and slicked them down, makes the angles much better and avoids the Frankenstein wall of hair up top. This version works well. Edge still looks like shit though. I do think everyone's gear looks fantastic. Rhea's whole crew looks great, and the deep maroon/black/gold pattern is a very tasteful choice for Edge and Beth. I hate the moments of Beth Phoenix matches where she has to do acting. I love that Dominik is drawing heat in a real way. Rhea leans into Phoenix's nice running clothesline and takes a hard bump into the steps. Finn leans into Edge's running clothesline the same way as Rhea did, for team solidarity. The timing of everything in this has been great, it's all paced out so well. Dominik's heat keeps growing. The Phoenix superplex looked great, but the build hung Rhea out to dry a bit. Of course the second I type out the words "The timing of everything in this has been great" and then Beth Phoenix comes diving into frame a second too late for a pinfall save and then lies there on her stomach like Willie Mays Hays coming up a foot short on his slide. Rhea's brass knux punch to the side of Edge's head looked perfect. Old Man Edge is much better than Peak Edge in a lot of ways, and it's wild his spear looks this good now. Dominik should have leaned more into Edge's tope, but this was good. Rhea had an excellent performance here. 


4. Men's Chamber: Austin Theory vs. Montez Ford vs. Bronson Reed vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Damien Priest vs. Seth Rollins

ER: Oh damn this is a pretty bad looking match right? I don't think the gimmick much matters, you see these six names and that is going to look like a bad match. I don't get Austin Theory in similar ways that I don't get Ricky Starks. Did Bronson Reed come back in the last two weeks or something? How did he go from not being one of 30 men in the Royal Rumble, to one of 6 men in Elimination Chamber? I was hoping I'd get a callback to the dogshit Gargano/Rollins sequences at the Rumble, so lucky they're the two starting this. It still looks bad a month later. Okay seriously what is the deal with Austin Theory. How does any of this stand? What is that jumping stomp that he does? Vince used to fucking love Dr. Jerry Graham? What the fuck happened? Edge doesn't wrestle as much like Edge anymore, so I'm really happy we have 6'4 guys like Damien Priest to bring some spiritual Edge Offense into 2023. His running slingshot senton looked like it hurt but I think that's because he messed up the landing. Goddamn this sucks. Bronson Reed came back with a cartoon Bluto sneer and it would have been way better if they just brought him back dressed as Bluto. He has the black beard and heard and his torso is comic book large, make him a fucking dock worker. 

To Reed's credit, he has been the most interesting part of this terrible match, as at least he was just smashing people in between his body and surfaces, not doing a series of tumbles and spins. He takes the poison rana really vertical and his selling afterward was an actual good use of WWE dramatic selling. Ford's sheer drop looked great, just belly flopping stomach first over Balor's shoulder from like 20' up. The best part of the match is now gone. The Rollins/Gargano stuff on top of the pod took way too long for what it was, but that huracanrana off the top of the pod was a great spot. Rollins is the worst possible Matthew Justice but he's at least better when he tries to be like Justice. Remember when I said the Women's Chamber match felt like it needed more time? This match feels eternal. Montez Ford does look pretty great. Look at his gear! You look at his gear in Street Profits and then see these tights? Great pair of tights. The repeated flip dives into the cage looked good...but having him get pinned by Theory just tanked this whole thing. What a bad look. Anyone explain Theory to me. I'll listen. They should have had Omos come out dressed like El Gigante to carry Ford out of the cage to the back.  


5. Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn 

ER: I used to feel like the biggest Generico critic, a guy I liked so much less than anyone else I knew. But sometime in 2020 I really did a full 180 on Zayn and well, his last few years speak for themselves. The wife and kids at ringside! I always like when they make someone's kid watch their dad take a beating while surrounded by weird strangers with parasocial relationships who think they know them. And this match was good! I don't think it hit the heights everyone wanted it to hit, but I do think it hit several heights. This was going to be a hard match to stick the landing on, and admittedly the long drama segments don't always work for me. Maybe (probably?) they would work better had I actually been watching all of the storyline play out in real time. It felt like the match peaked too soon and then had to be carried by the drama, and I think drama carried by a match would have been a more interesting way to play this. Every week they do the drama, this is when they can do the match. Roman's cut offs were strong, and Sami's cut offs were stronger, as it should be. Roman is much better at dramatic kick outs than Sami, but Sami was great at making it look like he was done. The ref shenanigans weren't necessary and came off weak, Sami and Roman did a good job of recovering the match every time there was a storyline pause. I thought the family would be involved a lot more (Sami's family, which basically wasn't shown after Zayn kissed his wife midway through the match) and I thought the finishing stretch de-escalated the match too much. Working a match with this much downtime scattered throughout isn't easy, and they never lost the crowd for a second, which means a lot. A Sami win would have made the moment better, but I don't think it would have made the match better. 



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

On paper this is looking like one of the stronger cards they have had in awhile from top to bottom. Going in hoping Elimination Chamber just get's played more straight forward and some new stars are created and some old stars rejuvenated.

1) RAW Women's Title #1 Contender Elimination Chamber

I was happy this was more of a straight forward gimmick match. Women's EC in the past they have just made some weird decisions. Riott Squad was neutered in everything they did but EC really showed it in the past. Baszler utter dominance in another was way to much.
I get wrestling fans and just about any sport they love an underdog unfortunately Liv Morgan has been in that position for too long. They put the belt on her for a few months but with Rousey it was hard to buy her as champ.
Nicki Cross they have doing her transformation in the background with no explanation. Unfortunately without her Sanity stable mates it doesn't have much juice. We have no story like Martha Wayne becoming The Joker of another Earth in DC Comics. Nikki is just this whatever.
Carmella is good at what she does but the women's roster feels to filled with heels. She went through an unfortunate real life event would have liked to see her come back as a face.
Natayla is the definition of a veteran and can fill any roll. WWE is lucky to have her.
Raquel, yes we need some faces but so much preferred heel Raquel in NXT. It feels like look we have a living breathing Encanto character to me.
Asuka, was one of the MVP's of the Thunderdome era. They constantly put belts on her and have her a visible part of everything but in ring it felt like they were doing her dirty. With that said....
Since her return from Rumble Asuka matches have been built weird. Her opponents have looked stronger than I would book them. Especially the Chelsea Green match. I am not familiar with the original Kana clown stuff in Japan but because she has switched up her style for more of a methodological approach to get her submissions in rather than louder fast action moves I am having to get use to it. I thought they booked her well in this.
Raquel I was happy to see them show off a bit more. They gave her similar spots to her man Strowman (I assume they are still dating). They try to do stuff like this with her frequent tag matches but this was a much better showing.
The rest they did there usual thing but I thought this was pretty well put together with only some of the Liv and Nattie early action coming off a bit choreographed.
Wish we had more of an Asuka vs Raquel and solidify Asuka is back like her NXT monster matches. They are on opposite shows so would have been nice to see but solid start.

2) Lashley vs Lesnar

Pretty sure this was just a taste and it worked for me as a build up to what I assume may be a three-way with Bray Wyatt at Wrestlemania.
Lesnar's after match actions will probably lead to a suspension and Wyatt and Lashley trying to get him reinstated may be entertaining if done right. Though with nothing coming from Wyatt on this actual show but veiled threats on the weekly show I think they lost an opportunity especially with such a hot crowd.

3) mixed match tag: HOH's vs Judgement Day

I was happy to see this was so much Phoenix vs Ripley. Ripley has been so much of just a character of late. More of a Chyna like muscle for Judgment Day. They need to set her up as a challenger for Charlotte in the coming weeks. Having her have a strong showing against a HOHer like Phoenix was a good way to remind folks.
Now we need to build something for Edge vs Mysterio with Edge destroying him. I miss the ppv moments when a little gnat finally gets there due (like Dudley's putting Trish through a table) and hopefully end this long running feud since they eliminated Edge as leader of JD.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

sorry for big delay for my thoughts on rest of show. Watched the main event again and researched some to talk about when it comes to the US Title Elimination Chamber match cause I didn't like it at all.

5) US Title Elimination Chamber Match

Like in my intro I thought the EC gave a lot of potential to help create some new players in the game. On paper this look like very good potential to do that with Bronson Reed, Gargano, and even though would prefer the Street Profits to a solo Ford. A good oppurtunity for him too. Unfortunately felt it was all wasted with really in the end a further build towards Rollins vs Logan Paul at Mania.
Bronson Reed was cut and came back when HHH was given the book. Was so happy when word was given he was back but unfortunately he became a bodyguard for Miz in the wasted feud with Gargano and Dexter Lummis. An angle that has gone on to long much like Edge vs Judgement Day.
Which brings us to Gargano. I get it he is a small guy but thus far since being called up he has been wasted. Both him and Reed have so much upside, i.m.o., but they don't know what to do with them. That has been the unfortunate thing with a lot of the guys HHH has brought back that were cut.
Austin Theory I can see some of the potential and WWE definitely needs some new stars but does he have what it takes to be that next big star. I don't know.
The type of heel he is playing does nothing for me and that long pairing with Vince didn't help his cause with me either. Without the presence of a guy like Gunther he feels a bit forced on me. I'd rather see such attention spent on a guy like Escobar.
When the preshow made it pretty clear this was a US Title defense expected Rollins to go over but with Logan Paul in the mix at Wrestlemania guess you don't need a belt.
Theory vs McAfee 2 at mania?

6) Unified Universal Title Match

I was at Goldberg vs Hogan live in Atlanta. The way that crowd was and the way the crowd was tonight I would have expected a riot if the hometown boy didn't go over. I liked the drama and had to watch again cause couldn't believe they didn't let Zayn go over. At least they had the Owens angle to help put crowd in better mood instantly. WCW didn't have that luxury. With this Reigns thing supposedly building all this time for a possible battle with The Rock I thought they could have had him drop the belt with that not happening anytime soon.
I had so much scenarios in my head what they could possibly do. Unfortunately I think they are on the path for a thousand day reign for Reigns with possible drop at Summerslam. I was rooting for an accidental Jey taking out Reigns leading to a Wrestlemania Day 1 match between Jey and Roman with if Roman won there would be a three way between Zayn, Rholdes, and Roman. With Jey taking a beating or even lying down to get back in with the Bloodline with them finally splitting the belts with however they did the threeway ending with Rhodes with the Raw title and Zayn the Smackdown. Yeah I dislike both champs being faces or heels but think that would make lots happy for now.

Unfortunate the men's EC match kept this from being a great great show but it was still a pretty good night. The crowd was so hot and was hard not to feed off that energy. Sorry the crowd had to be happy with just the Edge & Phoenix win but WWE doesn't play the nicest with their hometown wrestlers.
On to Wrestlemania.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

I just wanted come back and make one last comment.

Nothing new with seeing just about every blog I am seeing being the opposite of me. I didn't give praise to the high spots that Gargano and Ford did in the EC because I am just not a high spot guy. So they did fit the bill of moments that help elevate him but just not that kind of fan. EC, at least, was a legitimate place for those kind of moves. I worry, though, about today's wrestlers and not have the ability to have the long careers of the Funks, Ric Flair, etc. with how modern wrestling is.
That has been one of the things that has been so great with the Zayn and Reigns storyline. The match itself was just so much more old school to me. It was like a Flair vs Steamboat or Steamboat vs Savage kind of deal.
I see something like The Elite vs Death Triangle and I see something more about the insane moves the guys can do in a ring more than a balance of character and athleticism.
Yeah I am out of touch with modern wrestling but what else is new?

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home