Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Monday, January 05, 2015

2014 Ongoing Match of the Year List

66. Solar v. Negro Navarro 10/11

PAS: This is a dance we are familiar with at this point. This is a touring match up I have seen probably 50 times, and just like watching a favorite band again and again you know what songs they are performing but you go to the concert to watch them tweak the arrangement a bit. This goes about 18 minutes which is long for a Solar v. Navarro match, and it is fun to watch them stretch out. They do some especially nifty arm work and we get an a clean finish with Solar twisting an elbow until Navarro taps. Better then the Philly match earlier this year and a fine representative for this matchup on the MOTY list

ER: This is just a match up I can watch over and over again. It's a good thing I didn't know who these two were when I was younger and used to try out wrestling holds on my poor little sister. I could see me pausing and dissecting frame-by-frame Solar's cool roll through arm lock or Navarro's weird trust fall single leg Indian deathlock, or Navarro's weird one-legged surfboard. I always know what I'm going to get when I start watching a Solar/Navarro match, and at the same time I'm always pleasantly surprised to see them trying new things, and effortlessly breaking out old classics. It also always serves as a nice affirmation for me, seeing these two men closer to 60 than they are to 50, still able to do what they do. Is it weird feeling wistful while watching professional wrestling? I'm older, grayer, ache more when I wake up, and here are these two for 18 minutes, same as they ever were.


2014 MASTER LIST

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home