Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Favorite Wrestling! WCW Worldwide 12/25/99

So what kinda program did WCW spit out on Jesus' birthday of my 18th year? A lot of collect call commercials apparently. At this point Worldwide was 40 minutes of recap with a couple (at least exclusive) matches tacked on at the end.

1. Mona vs. Brandi Alexander

I was a huge fan of Mona's WCW ring gear. The blue suede short dress/singlet was an awesome look, and wrestling barefoot is completely insane and badass. Match is about 80% Alexander, who has a couple nice suplexes and a bunch of soft kicks. Mona is a great seller so it never got too dull, but it wasn't great. Mona has great charisma so the match is at least decent, but the structure didn't really lend itself to greatness. Mona wins with a cool roll-up.

2. Silver King vs. Jushin Liger

Holy cow I had no idea this match happened. This must have been when Liger was around for the tequila match. I felt like such an idiot during this period, as Liger was one of my favorite wrestlers in the world at this point and when I heard he was going to be on WCW Nitro I was excited all day. I even got my friend Darren to watch (who hadn't watched wrestling in years) promising him that it would be amazing if Liger was involved. And then we got a 4 minute match ending with the tequila bottle. I felt like such a ripe asshole. But apparently Liger worked some other matches while he was over. Tenay must have been having a deceptively stocky orgasm during this as these two are two of the most deceptively stocky motherfuckers in wrestling history. For part of the match these two seemed on a different page, and just when it was starting to get good the match ended. Still, it was 5 minutes of two really good pro wrestlers doing their thing, so it never got anywhere approaching bad. Silver King seemed really focused on keeping his skull cap on, and Scott Hudson was oddly focused on pointing out a possible relation between Silver King and ref Billy Silverman, going way out of his way to call him Billy Silver Man multiple times. I'm sure these two matched up better a couple years later when Silver King had his awesome NJPW run. Worldwide aired from 1 - 2 A.M. on Saturday night in my area, so what an odd thing for someone to have run across on TV after coming home from the bar.


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home