Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Sunday, December 20, 2020

WWE TLC 2020 Late Blog

My sister is moving in a month, so I spent the weekend with her packing boxes and moving things into her garage. A stunt show PPV I can have on in the background and pay partial attention to sounds like it could be fun. Not super familiar with the card so I'm kind of going in blind, which hopefully leads to being pleasantly caught off guard. Am very excited for Sasha/Carmella.


Daniel Bryan/Otis/Chad Gable/Big E vs. King Corbin/Cesaro/Shinsuke Nakamura/Sami Zayn 

ER: Bryan keeps shaving the sides of his head higher and higher, and he continues his career trend of Always Having the Hair of a 10 Year Old. Otis is wearing a Vader singlet, and this match looks like something that can't miss on paper. These 8 guys in a 2000s NOAH setting would light things on fire, so I'm high hoping this one. And it was actually really good. It had a great Coliseum Video feel to it, the way it was worked, and the way it was 4 babyfaces vs. 4 heels and they're mostly aligned because of being either a face or a heel. Zayn was avoiding Big E and running around the ring and hiding like Jimmy Hart, and it was balanced well with quick tags and a brief cool down to build to the big finish run. Corbin is good at working cool down (that's an actual compliment) and good at inserting himself in the hot finish, Bryan glues all this together to build to the big Otis hot tag, and the finish stretch move chaining all looked good. Cesaro hits this awesome deadlift Dr. Bomb and just lets him go, Corbin hits a great spinebuster on Otis, we get our big showdown between Big E and Zayn and Zayn gets caught. It's all very satisfying pro wrestling. 


AJ Styles vs. Drew McIntyre

ER: I really liked this, but thought the ladder stuff really took away from the match at points. I liked the first 8 minutes when no weapons were used the best, with Styles bumping big around the ring and ringside. He took hard hits into the buckles, got dropped ribs first a couple times on the barricade, got thrown over a table with chairs on it as if he were in a fight in a closed bar, and it was great. Setting up tables and climbing ladders changed the pace of the match, which they made up for by building to hard landings (Styles gets tossed hard on a ladder and thrown over the top through a table at ringside), so everything looks like it really stings. But I think the ladder climbing really took me out of it as the climbing doesn't feel anywhere near as climactic as had they just been wrestling. Miz cashing in his briefcase and then doing the slowest possible climb really made this stip feel stupid, though I think the fight choreography when they got to all three fighting on the ladders was good. Styles working over McIntyre's leg lead to a couple nice moments, like the calf slicer through the ladder. Styles' bump off the ladder to the floor looked sick, and Miz was made to look like an absolutely tremendous fool. Also, I do not need Miz in the title scene and him losing in this kind of fashion is perfectly fine for me. A match that lost me, but one that also had a lot of good (front loaded), but needed an editor. 


Sasha Banks vs. Carmella

ER: I thought this was really good, as good as I was hoping it to be. It had a couple twists and turns, made Carmella look like a worthy challenger, built to a feverish home stretch, one of those matches where a better opponent helps bring out the best parts of Carmella. Sasha is really great at this point, so much that it always bums me out that none of this is playing in front of live crowds. Sasha feels like she'd be the biggest thing in 2020 wrestling if there were live shows. I'm really glad this was a straight match and not worked under the TLC stip, a straight match was the right choice and the drama over nearfalls and submissions is more interesting than climbing and falling. The involvement of Reginald was good, loved him catching Carmella on a dive, ducking Sasha, and tossing her into a headscissors. And the payback was well played late in the match with Sasha hitting a meteora and then getting blasted by a couple superkicks for a genuinely strong nearfall. I thought Carmella could actually win it there. Sasha was great at running into everything Carmella had, and both kept things real close on sunset flips and small packages. It's really nice seeing such fine execution on pinfall attempts. I loved both of Carmella's submissions, both of them look like sick lucha maestro subs and are both somehow locked on just as smoothly. Both of those subs would look awesome applied by Negro Navarro or Blue Panther, but it also looks awesome applied by Carmella. It makes me happy. This whole match was fun throughout, really made me smile and enjoy the wrestling the whole time. A very tight build and explosive finishing stretch, just another great Big Match Sasha performance. 


Shelton Benjamin/Cedric Alexander vs. Xavier Woods/Kofi Kingston

ER: This was good, and kept up the same fun energy the entire rest of the show has had so far. This has been a very fun show, everyone feels like they're trying a couple new things in the ring, it's made things feel special so far. This tag was no different, and it made me realize that I appreciate that The Hurt Business actually seems to be growing as an idea. I like that it wasn't one of those ideas where WWE seems on board with it for two weeks and then loses all interest, instead it seems like they're letting it grow naturally. It's given new life to Shelton Benjamin and made him as relevant as he's been in 15 years. If they want to they could let him ride out a couple more years as an upper card tag worker and he'd be great at it. It's also been good for Cedric Alexander, who instead of being one of several similar 205 Live babyfaces, his style feels more focused for being in a regular tag team. Both teams worked a fun fast big bumps style, and kept the match to a brisk 10 minutes for maximum impact. I love how definitively Hurt Business won the belts. There was no bullshit, just a dominant team catching the champs. Benjamin hit a pop up superplex that should play in Hurt Business highlight videos, and the Alexander backcracker finisher is the premier use of that overused move, and shows that an overplayed move can still be used effectively. I'd love to see the Hurt Business continue to evolve and even add members, and would love to see them have a run with multiple title holders in the stable. This whole match really got me into the potential of them, so I'd call that a huge success. 


Nia Jax/Shayna Baszler vs. Asuka/Charlotte

ER: I was just thinking the other day that I had not missed Charlotte, and yet I was happy to see her here just because I will take any new face in this match rather than see Lana in the main women's program on Raw. It's poorly executed, it's obvious, the commentary screams all of the bullet points for how we're supposed to feel about it all, but I just don't want Lana in these matches anymore. That said, I wish it didn't feel like Charlotte was immediately Superwoman again. It felt like she just ran through Nia and Shayna, and while I admit the Nia/Shayna hasn't lived up to its potential, they should be a pair who are on Charlotte's level. You can make an argument for the surprise factor, they weren't expecting her, but they just got outmatched and I didn't like that. Asuka automatically feels like the smaller banana with Charlotte around, as she had to spend the match being the one to take a lot of Nia and Shayna's offense. But Asuka is good at that and I liked the way her hip attack took Nia out of things at the finish. Still, this match played into my worse fear, that we're going to go straight back to a Charlotte-dominated scene. 


Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens

ER: This didn't feel far off, but this didn't work for me. I didn't like the Uso interference, and Uso made to look as effective as a manager only type. There were a lot of big spills - maybe too many - yet I thought several of the biggest ones were shrugged off in the name of blocking someone's climbing. I was not into the slow climbs no matter how earned they were with big bumps. I thought going to Uso for every big Reigns comeback came off weak, and that it would have been perhaps more played out to have the interference happen in only one big moment instead of all through the match, but it would have made for a better match and made it appear Owens had more of a chance. Roman going through the barricade looked fantastic, and was one of the best looking "leveled barricade" spots they've done. No matter how I felt about the match layout as a whole, I thought that looked the best. Owens took some nasty falls into ladders (Roman too), but these slow paced Roman walking matches have not been my thing. 


So, I had a really fun time watching this show, and the vibe seems to be turning with those last couple matches, turning into something much less good. The tag match and Reigns match were not my thing but I also don't think they were bad. BUT. It feels like I would be tossing a lot of goodwill and pleasant memories right out the window if I put myself through a Randy Orton/Fiend match. I mean what kind of psychopath would I have to be to do that? 2020 has been difficult enough, why would I put myself through all of that? Let's go out on a high note, and be happy for the fun stuff we did get. 




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

TLC seems a good mix of gimmick matches and standard wrestling on paper.
Am I excited, no. Though had my worries they really seemed to set goals and went through with it. Beside's the opener and women's tag change nothing feels last minute decision or really leaving me with why is whatever match on the show. Sure there are people I would rather see but been awhile where it doesn't feel like a seat of pants put together show.

1) Mid card Smackdown roster 4 on 4 match up

Been awhile since they had a solid preshow match. I really liked this.
They used the time to set up some future stuff and felt like everyone got a chance to show a little something. Great opener.

2) TLC WWE Title Match

It was feeling to long in the tooth but made sense with the surprise MITB cash in. Miz needing both Styles and McIntyre at their weakest and a history with some ladder match wins of his own made it work for me.
The cash in turned the match around for mewhen my interest started to wain from so much violence going so long.
It nice to see McIntyre move on from Orton but still question where you can go. Fiend/Wyatt and Stroman would feel like going back to well, already. Retribution is a joke. Would like an Elias or Erik to shake things up but takes time to build them up.
We'll see what they come up with.

3) Smackdown Women's Title

Carmella was surprise of the night for me. I guess she has been in so many comedy bits and they couldn't get even one decent match with Asuka out of her that I had in my mind this will be the match before the main event. Nope.
Carmella was a credible threat through out. I couldn't ask for anything more.

4) Raw Tag Team Title

They have done to much with this foursome on the weekly shows but they did bring there best match I thought on the ppv.
I really wish Undisputed Era weren't so injury prone and small guys. Would love for them to be called up and thrown into this mix. The tag team picture is so small with Vikings being down half a man. Andrade and Garza broken apart. Again Retribution can't be taken serious. Lucha House Party, they still together? Guess you got Miz and Morrison back with the MITB business done with.
All four guys have been bringing it but it is overly repetitive.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

5) Women's Tag Title

Really the only things that could have saved this storywise for me is finish up the underdog story by Lana toughing it out. Making it unsanctioned so the title belts couldn't change hands and have Jax put through the table.
That or Sane return but then I remembered though she had issues with Jax it was Sasha and Bayley that sent her on her way, I believe.
My big problem it is to soon after Asuka turning face again she has practically had bad blood dealings with just about every female on RAW roster except Naomi over the last year. I could deal with Lana going quickly from breaking boards with Asuka's name cause she is always going to cling to what furthers her. It is an established character trait.
I would have preferred an NXT call up in the spot.
I guess this way they can make Charlotte a true face but kind of wish she got them DQed trying to exact some revenge.
Happy for Asuka but to soon after Bayley dos belts.

6) Universal Title

Again the violence ran to long for my liking but we didn't have a MITB cash in to save it or somebody running in to even the odds and maybe set up for Reigns next.
I also never really felt like Owens was a super threat despite what the announcers were saying but that may just be my cynical eye. I also have tunnel vision because though I like the story set ups I haven't enjoyed the ring storytelling all that much.
Survivor Series I had written the Uso run in was pointless but after posted remember wait he did do a super kick or something.
It's my hang up that Reigns has to redefine in a way that at least doesn't make him feel weak or follow a similar formula to Lesnar's run with Universal belt.

7) Firefly Inferno Match

I would enjoy this more if it was the 80's or 90's; I think. I am all for character and comic book battles but those comic book battles don't work in an atmosphere that has to long been about something more realistic or totally out there like the Cena cinematic match.
The match was a spectacle but fell way short in substance.

First 2/3's I really liked this on a wrestling level but that last third was a bit much. I found this one of the strongest main roster shows for my taste though nothing overall stuck out for me to recommend and surprised that the Smackdown Women's Title was my best of the night.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home