Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Sunday, September 27, 2020

WWE Clash of Champions Disinterested Not Live Blog 9/27/20


I'm running behind. The last 24 hours I have spilled coffee on and fried my work/personal laptop, watched the Giants decide to not make the playoffs this year, then after found out my sister tested positive for COVID (she is a doctor, this was pretty much expected. She is also asymptomatic this time and thinks she caught COVID in January), so forgive me if my heart or brain isn't too focused on this show. I was interested in the women's matches but apparently it's a real hot time for women to give COVID a spin. It's not been a great day, and honestly I kind of just want something in the background that I don't have to focus too hard on. If I get a couple details wrong or opinions seem off, go easy.


Lucha House Party (Kalisto/Lince Dorado) vs. Cesaro/Shinsuke Nakamura

ER: This was our usual fine kickoff match; these things always deliver in almost the same satisfying way. They feel like a good 8 minute Thunder match. It fills time well and gets the right amount of runtime, not everything is hit clean but they also do some things they wouldn't do on Raw. That's my bar for a kickoff match (and pretty much my bar for any match really) and they clear it. The big fun stuff was big and fun, like Dorado hitting a tope to send Kalisto into a tornado DDT on Cesaro like a lucha Rube Goldberg machine (a tribute no doubt, RIP Notorious Rube Bader Goldberg) and a fun every turnbuckle moonsault spot (Cesaro scooted in on the top rope one and Kalisto overshot him by the amount he scooted in), and we got a bunch of Cesaro showing off his Chikara base skills. Nakamura had a fun performance as the less used heel, but the guy taking cheap shots from the apron. One of my actual favorite parts of the match was Nakamura just kind of rubbing Kalisto's head with his boot from the apron, Kalisto slumped in the corner getting his head lazily shoved around by a Nak boot. I love that kind of stuff. This cleared the kickoff bar.

AJ Styles vs. Sami Zayn vs. Jeff Hardy

ER: I cannot stand them, but I also always kind of love when Jeff Hardy brings back the eyeball lids. He's such a perfect little weirdo goofball. I'd be more into this as a singles with any two guys, but eyeball lid Hardy will probably do a couple of stupid things. But you know what? This was awesome! These three took turns trying to find ways to die off a ladder bump, they keep putting title belts on Zayn (love it) and they pull off some clever spots without coming off like they were being too clever. Jeff should not be taking these bumps, but Jeff is taking these bumps and he's nuts. He falls hard on his hip (I hope he wears pads under his Jnco jeans), crushes Styles with a swanton, gets tipped into the ropes, gets a ladder thrown at him, and eventually gets his droopy earlobe handcuffed to a ladder. Jeff Hardy has to drag this ladder along while it's attached to his body and it gives him a Joseph Merrick at Burning Man vibe. Zayn takes a couple a great bumps into the ladder, flying high on a backdrop and then managing to bump on 3 (4?) parts of a ladder, bouncing around like Sonic before hitting the mat. Zayn and Styles both had big welts on their back from hitting ladders so hard, and we got a really engaging Styles/Hardy exchange. Jeff was lobbing hard elbows at Styles' temple and their early fight at the top of a ladder was a real good version of that. The handcuff stuff played much better than it could have, and Zayn being a total brat really helped with that. A merry prankster in a wrestling ring is something that could be unbearable or really fun, and he seems to know the things that could make it work. I love that they put the belts back on him, Styles cuffed helplessly to the ladder, Hardy dragging his ladder coffin around by his ear, and Zayn walking tall. Great presentation.

Zelina Vega vs. Asuka

ER: This was fun, probably the best Vega singles we've had. It's a smart match strategy to just focus on an arm. It's a good way for her to get back into the match at any point, and I like heels making they way back into a match by just grabbing a face by the waistband and pulling them into the ring steps. Asuka knows how to work a match around Vega's limits and they give us decent breadcrumbs throughout. Could have done without some things down the stretch, but I liked Vega attempting to ape Daniel Makabe's bridging pin trick only to get caught for the immediate tap in the Asuka lock. The match had a smart layout and benefitted from it.

Apollo Crews vs. Bobby Lashley

ER: This one didn't grab me. There were some moments I liked, such as Crews' nice running back elbow that sent Lashley to the floor, the nice frog splash nearfall, and Crews getting a quick press slam on the bigger man (press slams are always a good thing). But Lashley matches always leave me dry, MVP needs to be involved for the Hurt Business stuff to hit. This was inoffensive and that's fine.

Andrade/Angel Garza vs. Street Profits

ER: Dug this, thought it built nicely and had a couple surprises, wasn't sure who would come away with the win. Ford looked cool as hell flipping into the ring like Solar and timing a perfect dropkick after doing so, but Andrade pastes him across the face with a dropkick tagging into the match later and that is also cool. I dug the ways Garza mashed Ford's face while cutting him off, really palming his face into the mat like a jerk. We got some nice moments of Ford juuuuuust about tagging in Dawkins, with a great moment of Garza yanking Dawkins off the apron at the last second. The Garza/Ford Spanish Fly looked like a super dangerous early 2000s CZW spot, which is kind of cool and kind of scary. Couple of off moments but an overall super satisfying tag title match.

Bayley vs. Asuka

ER: Oh man I am way more interested in Bayley vs. Asuka, even though Nikki could have been fun in a singles title match. And I WAS getting into this match, until the sudden DQ finish. That's not too satisfying. I would have really been into Asuka Two Belts and then more of a violent Sasha/Bayley feud with no belts at stake. This wasn't given the chance to be much, which is a shame. The energy was good up to the DQ, loved Asuka's fast German suplex and was getting into where it was going. Ah, well, nevertheless.

Randy Orton vs. Drew McIntyre

ER: This is not the night to spend 20 minutes with Randy Orton. Once I saw Orton take 7 minutes to get in the ring during McIntyre's long entrance, my brain screamed out for an audible. I saw Alopecia Big Show came back, and looked small (is Big Show okay?), and that's neat. I also saw Drew hit a Claymore kick through an ambulance door and that looked cool too. This was never going to be as cool as the parking lot brawl from last week, and I guess I'm kind of glad they didn't try to be? I'm sure these guys did great (I will never get excited for drama based around closing a car door).

Roman Reigns vs. Jey Uso

ER: This one did not work for me. I thought they at least put a good effort at inserting personality and family drama into a slow paced cousin fight, but it went on too long for me and wound up having the same effect as the Hart/Michaels Iron Man, in that I shortened the match by dozing on and off during the final half. They should have had this match at their auntie's house so that we could have seen them brawling past photographs and getting shoved over the couch with plastic on it and pressing each other under the floor runner. I did think the nearfalls all worked, as there was a point where I actually thought they were going to give Jey the big win. I think the offense should have been laid in a bit more if they wanted the slow drama to really connect, and I never got that. A lot of the talking didn't work for me, but I still really like what they did and what they went for. It is very possible in a different head space I will love this, so I may run this one back in the near future.



Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a long time reader and sometimes commenter, I'm really sorry man.

9:15 PM  
Blogger EricR said...

I appreciate it, thank you! Just a no good pain in the ass of a day. Everyone in the ladder match is attempting to die for my entertainment so things could be weirder and worse for me :)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Funkle Joe said...

Ive been reading your guys stuff for so long, but sorry about your sister brodie. Hopefully she's back up and running soon

10:29 PM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

Hope everything works out. I have put myself on quarantine twice and fortunately not even had it.

I awoke to the news about the possible changes and that was two of the matches effected was looking most forward too cause the women been killing it character and fun wrestling wise this year for me.

Between this news and now your sister too kills the morning high of preordering Beastmaster in 4K.

1) Smackdown Tag Title

So the Raw's womens title gets moved back in to the main card and we get a solid tag match. Can't complain since I am a total Asuka mark. Though bit tired of tension between tag team members. Forget if they did anything in this match but it is this constant shadow that hangs over every tag match. They can do more story wise but they keep sticking to there go to.

2) Intercontinental Title Ladder Match

With the two IC belts half jokingly said they were building to a ladder match like when Michaels and Razor argued who the real IC champ was.
Ladder matches have lost there specialness it is a go to way to often now a days but this was well done and well told match. Zayn is looking more and more like an 80's WCCW bad guy every day and I am loving it. Say what you will but on the men's side everyone practically dresses and talks the same or you got things like Hardy or Ali where the look doesn't necessary add anything to the character cause everyone still talks the same.
Zayn was my pick to least likely to win but glad he did. Now get him back with Cesaro & Nakamura I like posses.

3) RAW Womens Title

I think they should have done the Smackdown Women's match first the way they did things. To me felt like they went into Asuka having arm problems to quick. A previous chair attack would have played the whole thing off better to me.
With Vega having such slim wrestling work it is hard to tell what she is capable of or her limitations but thought they came up with a decent match though was waiting for a good strike segment seeing some of Vega's training with her husband.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

4) US Title Match

Really didn't do anything different than from tv. Really need a Ricochet turn, Retribution attack (though that would have very much RAW tv) or something.

5) RAW Tag Title

Solid tag match but like the Profits vs Viking Raiders it is feeling like this feud has been going on forever. Sadly they are going to probably rely on the draft to freshen up the tag picture it seems.

6) Smackdown Women's Title

Was hoping for Fiend possessed Alexa Bliss but who knows the way she been kissing other wrestlers she might be at least forced quarantine and like The Wyatt Fiend I like to see Bliss not overly exposed.
That's one thing haven't completely understood with the size of rosters and not having to draw butts into stadium seats they have the freedom but ratings aren't allowing them to spread things out, bring people to tv, etc..
I did like a Asuka duel or Undisputed Women's champ tease but like said earlier think they should have switched the order of the matches.

7) WWE Title Match

Hitting long built story beats was welcome and protect both guys well but never much a fan of stretcher, buried alive, ambulance, etc style matches. The gimmick matches from this card played well but both got long in the tooth time wise for my liking.

8) Universal Title Match

The lifetime elements helped build this match in a few short weeks. Great build up but by turning this in to a say my name situation this isn't going to be a simple place holder for the real build to Survivor Series or whatever.
In the end this seemed like a match for Round 2 or 3. Reigns should have simply destroyed him. That not getting the respect result move on to more like this match where Reigns came off more like I am going to beat you up for a long time so you can suffer vibe. Add that to Hell in the Cell and make that suffering even more hurtful.
In the end for the set up it fit the story well but the Universal Belt at this point is recognized as Brock's belt. The wearer needs a simple devastation style match at some point to make them seem like a contender for Brock, i.m.o..

This was a solid show but in many ways still came off as what a good episode of RAW should be rather than an explosive ppv. Only one or two matches came off as true contenders to see the inside of the Hell in the Cell. We'll see how things move on from here.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home