Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Sunday, February 16, 2020

NXT TakeOver: Portland 2/16/20

ER: I was seriously consider going up to Portland to see this, but instead I am sitting at home wearing soft pants. Nobody I knew was interested in either a) seeing this with me live, or b) spending a few days in Portland, and that is fine. It's a place I frequently look for excuses to travel to, so I will surely be there in the next couple months anyway. Let's see if friends and well wishers were correct to convince me not to go. Although, to be clear, this show could be terrible and I would have had a great time in Portland. Plus I can go up there and eat at Screen Door any time I like without having to also sit through an Adam Cole singles match.


Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic

ER: I saw the hype video with Mark Henry talking about how big these two are, and how unfathomable it is for big guys to do what they do. And I am so happy that Mark Henry did not do what these two do and instead wrestled like Mark Henry. I want to see a hoss fight, not two big guys cosplaying an Ospreay match. And this match was definitely these two having their match, and their match does very little to excite me at this point. It is their collection of "Isn't it crazy that THESE two are doing THESE moves!?" exhibition, and I have seen it a lot and I hope this is a blow off match. I think all their stand and trade spots look badly rehearsed, and Dijakovic always seems to be 25% off on every super complicated thing he executes. So these matches are always filled with "MAN that's impressive for a guy his size. Imagine if it landed!" moments. The whole thing is one Eliminators move set up after another, with one big move leading to rest, leading to the other guy doing a big move, and then more rest. Dijakovic keeps breaking out new things, and they are impressive, like his twisting moonsault in ring or his gigantic swanton to a seated Keith Lee on the floor, but these moves always seem to get sold about as long as any other less dangerous move he could have done, and that's a "him" problem. We get a lot of "your big move/strike made me recoil off the ropes/mat and bounce back with my OWN big move/strike" and that's something I typically hate from 160 lb. guys, and lemme tell you that it sucks even harder with 290 lb. guys. For every move I liked, there was a moment that immediately showed that it wasn't actually that devastating, and Dijakovic doesn't have the acting chops to pull off the bad fighting spirit faces he always attempts. This was the match I was expecting, and I probably would have praised it to the heavens if they came out and worked a Mabel/Diesel match instead.

Street Fight: Tegan Nox vs. Dakota Kai

ER: I haven't been sold on heel Kai, but her street fight gear is legit. This is the coolest that Dakota Kai has looked. Kai is channeling mid 90s AJW street fight attire and it rules. Meanwhile, the person I'm supposed to root for is just wearing her normal wrestling gear and has her hair bumped up to absurd levels. I think a lot of the small stuff worked here, while a lot of big stuff did not. This was my favorite Kai performance, and it worked because she was making small things look as good as big things. She took an early drop toehold into the barricade and just went into it mouth first. And she continued to pay that kind of attention to every little spot, and it elevated things. My favorite moments of the match were not complicated, they were things like Kai snapping off a quick kick from the apron to Nox's face, or Kai splatting hard on her stomach on the apron, or Nox calculating wrong and throwing a low right while Kai is meeting her head with a trashcan lid, or Nox swinging a chair right into Kai's knee and Kai going down like someone who actually had her bad knee beaten with the odd angle of a trash can. When they kept it to basic street fight elements, I thought it was working well, and only fell apart in the moments where they got too cute or overthought what they were doing. No matter how nice Kai's kicks looked, duct taping Nox's wrist to the ringpost comes off a little silly when Nox is watching you do it, and her hand only shoots up to stop you the second you stop wrapping duct tape but not a moment before. But I liked stuff like trapping Kai's knee in a chair and smashing it, the German suplex into a trash can was nasty, and the visual of Kai's head in the chair on the table was strong. Now, using this street fight as a way to reintroduce Reina Gonzalez (with a painfully flat "Oh My God That's Raquel Gonzalez" read from Beth Phoenix) came off more than lame. She looked bad in her big moment, futzing around on the top rope with Nox, before Nox has to jump entirely on her own "through" the table. Gonzalez took forever and couldn't get into a good position to throw her, so Nox did everything on her own (no camera angles could make Gonzalez look good) and the painful bounce off the table came off much more accidental than "intentional badass move" from Gonzalez. Bad reintroduction, flat finish.

Johnny Gargano vs. Finn Balor

ER: This one was one of the on paper matches I was mildly dreading, having those "I just volunarily agreed to watch a show with a likely hour worth of Balor and Cole matches" thoughts, and then this started out just fine. The problem was that it kept going, and I did not want it to keep going. But I was fairly involved with this when they weren't doing "well scouted like looking into a mirror!" wrestling. Heel Finn don't interest me, Face Finn don't interest me, so there wasn't likely much they could have done to win me over other than surprise me with something different. And I was into this, until I wasn't into this. Once this started getting overly sequenced it got the same kind of silly I was expecting. It's so funny that they work on crafting these fast elaborate reversal sequences, and I am into stuff like Finn catching Gargano's spear from the apron. But I can't help but giggle when they run this fast sequence, Balor drapes Gargano over the top rope, sprints to the apron...and then carefully climbs up every single buckle on his way to the top rope. No matter how quickly and ironed out these sequences get, I'm always left with silly little moments where someone is holding themselves in an awkward position waiting to take a move. And so before long Gargano is doing that offense that Gargano does with a lot of pointing, and I chuckled at Balor kicking him off the announce table. Went too long, but the odds of this ever being "for me" left the building pretty quick.

Bianca Belair vs. Rhea Ripley

ER: This was the match I was most excited for, and while it didn't hit the high level I was hoping for, it was still a good match that delivered much of what I wanted. This was a tough position for Bianca, as the match has clearly been treated like a lame duck to Charlotte/Ripley in all of the build. This match was so clearly second banana, with a result so obvious, that getting people invested was going to be like not getting robbed blind in a trade after the player publicly demands a trade. So they don't work this cute, and they throw hard shots, and the occasional messiness on suplexes added to things for me. NXT has had to much cleanness in their main events, I like a little mess. The important thing is that Rhea threw harder clotheslines to the chest and harder knees to the head than Lee and Dijakovic earlier in the evening. I enjoyed how they handled learned behavior, like Belair eating a big boot after going for her series of leapfrogs, and Ripley scouting the hair whip after taking one to the midriff earlier in the match. I really wish Bianca had been treated like more of an overall big deal, as she's lost on every single TakeOver I've watched so has that "Luger always loses" mid 90s WWF feeling to her. Belair as Luger isn't actually crazy now that I think about it...and I really like Luger...and I really like Belair's power here. This was good, and pretty easily my favorite match of the night so far, even if I am getting very tired of Charlotte.

Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish vs. Matt Riddle/Pete Dunne

ER: This was good! I expected this to be good! Some restraint would have been welcome, but the NXT house style is getting further and further away from any kind of restraint. I got into it from the beginning, with UE jumping Riddle and Dunne in the aisle way, babyfacing themselves by stopping the awful Bobby Fish song, which had the special power of getting less funny every time it was spoken. I thought this was an especially cool showing for Fish and O'Reilly. Bobby Fish is basically the least talked about member of UE, but he brings a cool salt and pepper old athletic guy energy to things. Fish is like the best possible Frankie Kazarian, that tanned guy in his 40s who is now leaning deep into his aged hair, only Fish does great offense catered to his age, and is maybe the finest example of a silver fox wrestling has seen. Dude was owning the silver and I thought he came off with actual star appeal. O'Reilly had a real nice very fast kick combo, that didn't actually look like he was just thinking about the next step, it really just came off like he was winging kicks. Sure he had some silly wobbly legs down the stretch, but there were a lot of things O'Reilly did great in this one. My one hang up is that I don't really think the Riddle/Dunne team works as well as I thought it would. There's something missing and they just aren't as complementary as I thought they'd be. I like both of them, Riddle especially, but the team just keeps coming up lesser than sum for me. Riddle is always going to do things I like, and here he's hitting sentons and taking big bumps barefoot and tossing out Germans and I'm just going to like that. I don't think this reached the kind of fluidity that some of the best of these NXT go go go tags can hit, and of course doesn't touch the same kind of match from To Infnity and Beyond or Philly-Marino, but this was very fun and part of a really enjoyable 1-2 with Ripley/Belair.

Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa

ER: Nope.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

With a four day weekend and Snoopy's Sopwith Camel doing direct flights to Portland something considered going to too. I have AWA, ECW, WCW, and WWF ppv visits and NXT Takeover still on bucket list. Impact, NWA, ROH, and AEW aren't on that list; btw.

With a line up so unpredictable matches minus the NXT Women's title match it would have been a worthwhile card on paper.

1) North American Title Match

I got from this what I was expecting though I thought some of the previous tv matches were better. This has been a bit of a long running feud with a number of matches like the Cesaro and Sheamus. The way the match ended could see the two start tagging when they build to Lee's next opponent without him facing said opponent.
The match it self was fine opener and we got a bit of a comic book Hulk vs Abomination. Two big bruisers. Being in a comic mind set the big guys doing stuff you don't expect them to do worked for me.

2) Street Fight rules match

I watch the Performance Center Youtube channel so this feud has been way hard to buy in to. They just presented a series of clips on the comeback of Tegan Nox where you got a lot of Kai playing up their real life friendship.
Unlike the original ECW years I am just not into matches like this. Sure these things don't happen as much and both girls serious injuries were to their legs but already have a built in cringe factor.
I was happy to see this not turn into a repeat of Corbin vs Reigns going all over the building like I feared.
The match was okay for what it was, I can deal with the over acted facial expressions, and only real issue was the ending.
I think the reveal of who it was so fast had killed any real punch of it but needed cause the girl looks like Sonia Deville. I made that mistake just seeing her at first. The NXT female roster right now is so stacked while the main rosters are stale. Would have liked if it had been Deville. WWE definitely seems to see money in Nox.

3) Johnny Wrestling Vs The Prince formerly known as The Demon

Solid match but neither did anything to change my opinion. Both are fine for what they do but not my cup of tea.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

4) NXT Women's Title Match

I keep kicking myself not being able to see Asuka before she got called up and this was the match that made me want to forget my fear of heights for a few hours to fly.
I wish we didn't have the previous build up on NXT and main roster shows of Charlotte likely choosing to go after the NXT title. If they could tease more with the tag belts or Smackdown title the whole ending would have been more of an astonishing moment. I thought the match was built pretty good compared to the Baszler matches where Belair could win it but you knew she wasn't cause the Wrestlemania angle had already started
There were some issues but some of them I think had to do with the height of Ripley. Totally different center of gravity then most girls on the roster. It was a solid match though the ending just seem to come out of nowhere was a weird turn into a sudden Riptide to end it all.

5) NXT Tag Title

Who's idea was the whole limerick, nursery rhyme, or whatever thing with Fish. The Broserweights getting to Portland was fun. Like the kind of Lewis & Martin thing they kind of have going but this was a bit much.
I guess I am a bit upset with them ending the Riddle and Lee pairing so quick but they came up with something for Lee so can't complain but still up in the air about this pairing which with the result we definitely will be seeing more of.
It is interesting seeing the Undisputed Era taking hits I just hope they aren't building towards everyone turning on each other as they keep dropping straps.
Decent tag match.

6) NXT Title

Sorry not the guy for a recap of the in ring action like Eric. I thought it followed the formula of the night no wrestler or team seeming to have over control pretty much 50/50 with run-ins to set up something down the line.
We'll see if Undisputed Era finally add another member. They teased so long ago the Brazilian female who supposedly just quit the company and did nothing with her and now maybe after Gargano's almost Hogan like moment we finally have a 5th member and that can be followed by Sean Waltman since rumor has they want more interaction from other outside forces in to NXT.

I really liked I went into the matches not knowing who was going to likely win and the action was pretty much 50/50 to keep me guessing through out.
Unfortunately this didn't have any moments that make me want to hit that go back 10 secs or whatever button. It was a great show but didn't have that oh wow feeling I expect from a Takeover.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home