Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, June 16, 2018

NXT TakeOver: Chicago II 6/16/18

Roderick Strong/Kyle O'Reilly vs. Danny Burch/Oney Lorcan

ER: Holy shit this match starts off my night go go go go. They are taking no breaths and it is hot as hell. Burch is working fast and everybody is whipping around the ring, and we get an awesome early match exclamation point when Burch catches O'Reilly on a leapfrog and catches his ankle, slamming it to the mat. Strong is working a weird MMA bully style, grounding Burch and peppering him with mounted punches, and O'Reilly works that too with a nice hardway double leg. O'Reilly's mounted elbows look pretty lousy, but his palm strikes have a nick smack. I'll allow it. Strong has a super underrated dropkick and he absolutely scalps Burch with one. But this match is all about the Lorcan hot tag, one of the hottest we've seen in ages. Lorcan throws a lariat straight outta hell, a couple of massive flying European uppercuts, sick fast flip dive onto everyone, total house on fire. They dump Strong on his head for good measure, Lorcan takes a disgusting bump off the top rope to the apron to the floor. We get a great dramatic 90s direct to video action movie moment with O'Reilly locking Burch in an armbar and a slow camera zoom as Burch is holding two fingers together to keep his arm from being fully extended. Lorcan re-eneters the match to hit a double blockbuster off the apron to Strong and O'Reilly, and then hits a bonkers doomsday device European off the top. Good lord that sentence is a mouthful and this match is really fun. I didn't love the Adam Cole interference and thought it slowed the match down a bit too much, and I didn't like the phone booth fighting spot, but the end run picking apart Lorcan was great. Strong saved his most vicious shots for the death blows, a nasty chop to the neck, a leaping knee to the face, a great diving lariat while O'Reilly hit a legsweep. A lively match, hotly paced, real crowd pleaser.

PAS: Lorcan is a blast, one of the better guys I can remember at pure intense sprint wrestling, actually reminds a bit of Sting as a hot tag, just an intense explosive killer. Lorcan sprints have been some of my favorite things in wrestling for the last couple of years, and I am glad he got a showcase match finally.  That bump to the floor was totally nuts, the kind of thing we might praise Jerry Estrada or Cactus Jack for, it felt like an all time bump freak bump. I am pretty lukewarm about the other three guys in this match, although they all had moments I dug. I am into Burch and Gallagher bring the barfight headbutt into the WWE, I have been in fist fights with Englishmen, that is a move you always have to be weary of.  I am with Eric on praising that cross arm breaker spot. So much of NXT is built around these cinematic moments, sometimes it comes off as hokey (as it does later in this show for example). Here though  I thought the two finger hold worked really well, and would have actually made a great finish, although the actual finish with Lorcan getting pounded from all sides until he collapsed was really great, reminded me of a cinematic death, I could see that being the way Jon Snow dies at the end of Game of Thrones (if he dies, this isn't a spoiler).

Velveteen Dream vs. Ricochet

ER: This is really rope runny but not in a too annoying way. They're both kind of slithery so it works as a fun style battle. Dream has some fun throwback offense, like a great clubbing double axehandle over the bridge, and modern flash like a ankle flip somersault senton, and hits a cool Aerostar-like springboard flip dive that just floats. Ricochet hits his own big tope and a no hands moonsault that kinda misses, but Dream sells it like it totally upended him. There's a little drag in spots and it's a tough pace to work after the previous long tag. The crowd maybe doesn't react as strong because of that. Dream is a loon though and really throws his body into a middle rope death valley driver, properly selling the damage by bumping almost just as big. His rolling dvd is a legit thing of beauty. I don't really love the stand and trade stuff, kind of goes on a bit long and some of the response bumps are a little too planned. But again this crowd is absolutely on fire for this so who am I to be the joyless crap sack? But I don't know, I think Ricochet doing his own just as good rolling dvd is a little silly, and then he hits his own elbow (and we don't even get the best elbow in the business from Dream!?!?), but he eats knees on a crazy far shooting star press, but then Dream whiffs on his elbow, literally landing almost completely across the ring a couple feet from the ropes. It was a bit longer and slower than it should have been, but they kept the crowd through most of it and that counts. A solid if flawed match.

Nikki Cross vs. Shayna Baszler

ER: Nikki's crazy act takes up the first couple minutes, and it's cheesy, but she's committed and it works enough. But once Baszler takes over then I get into this, dropping her in a backpack on the ring entrance ramp and kicking her around, locking in snug chokes, but then giving generously on Cross' comeback, taking a big bump on her shoulders on a back suplex. Baszler throws such awesome knees, but the finish came off a bit too cheesy to me. Shayna locks in a great choke, but Cross lasts way too long in it and ends with Cross eventually passing out while smiling a big inauthentic Joker smile. Baszler almost saves it while screaming crazily during the choke, and her black mouthguard screaming is a pretty great heel gag. Short and not bad, but I think it comes down to me not liking Cross a whole lot.

Lars Sullivan vs. Aleister Black

ER: Fun quick start after a staredown with Sullivan catching the Black Mass again, but bumping to the floor and eating a double knees and a high knee in the ring. There's a lot of near miss back and forth but it's been done well so far. We've not yet gone full do-si-do. Love the spot where Sullivan runs through a clothesline as if he's breaking the tape at the end of a marathon. Sullivan catching Black on the quebrada to the floor is a great strength spot, and we get a cool powerslam into the barricade and a crushing avalanche. Black is so much fun, I really stupidly want a RAMPAGE battle against Braun Strowman. Love that pop up powerslam but I don't know if I love him going up top. I kind of hate when big guys go up just to get caught, felt a little too cheap Hogan Nitro spot. But the clothesline from the apron was devastating and Sullivan does do a big awkward diving hippo splash off the top, catching a knee to the jaw. It looked messy but that may have been to its benefit. Black has some fun 2006 fast indie offense and I like his kicks to various parts of his legs. But Sullivan has some cool tricks too. You don't usually see big guys with neat offense tricks. His chop block to the front of Black's leg is sick, and a giant dude doing a stretch muffler is a wonderful sight in wrestling. The flying headbutt is stupid as all hell to be doing in 2018, Race was saying to cut it out like 30 years ago. And then it gets a 2 and is it worth it Lars? Lars missing the chop block and eating a double stomp to his lower back is a great Jackie Chan moments, and Sullivan sells for Black's kicks better than maybe anybody else in NXT. Fact. He has 4 different crumbling sells, like he's Kawada with a pituitary gland condition. I thought there were a couple minor missteps, but this felt like a pretty great Street Fighter II tournament final. This worked for me.

Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa

ER: This starts off like a fun 1997 ECW Tommy Dreamer brawl, I mean as if they were following a script, with a crowd brawl that sees Gargano get handed a Gargano sign from a fan, that has a stop sign hidden in it. It's so ECW that the crowd ends up doing an ECW chant. My word. The Gargano dive was big, filmed in a way that made it look like he flew 15 feet. Such a TNN garbage brawl, which is hitting the right spot on a Saturday night after a couple cold drinks. I mean this is taking me right back to some 2001 wrestling in college, watching Benoit doing rolling Germans and worked with that Crash aesthetic. Ciampa gets tossed over the announce table and he essentially spin kicks Percy on the way down. We're going through a bunch of greatest hits from 80s to 90s, Gargano whipping him with a belt and we still get a bunch of 90s garbage trash can spots, trash can lid spots, feels late 90s but violently so.

I love the exposed ring as a prop. It doesn't get used that often so it really does have some freshness and mystery to it. It feels like crossing a line. The vibe with the mat pulled back and exposed padding and glossed wood made it feel like two guys doing a drywall job in a halfway built house and getting into a fist fight over who has a nicer car. We get some nice set pieces here, feels like a really intricate stage fighting scene, tons of props. Gargano attacking that knee gives this some edge, both guys not afraid to go low. There is some wonderful soap opera drama on display. I'm sure there were at least two episodes of Passions that had someone remove off someone's wedding ring and spit on it. End gets really silly. They tease a big Gargano jump and don't pay it off, and I think Gargano goes to "nerve damage" selling a bit too often. But he cuffs Ciampa and delivers a bunch of superkicks he can't defend. The move that finishes the match is something that plays even better the more I see it, with Ciampa hooking Gargano by the neck as Gargano is getting back in the ring, and planting him with the DDT on the exposed ring. I really loved it because they exposed that ring 10+ minutes ago, and I love that exposed ring as a looming danger, and it went just long enough and just far enough away from the ring that we weren't thinking about it anymore. It was a quick power outage and Ciampa came off really hatable. This felt a cut below the other TakeOver Gargano main events, but I liked it's overblown style.

This was a good but not overly good show, but it never felt like a bad show. Everybody was working hard even if they were working at something that I wasn't digging. I think all the matches essentially accomplished what they wanted to accomplish. I also think a couple of these matches could improve on a rewatch, so it always felt like a show that mattered.




Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

Undisputed Era vs Burch/Lorcan

When I first started watching NXT I really didn't think much of Burch or Lorcan. They came across as journeymen and possible instructors at the performance center putting on the match they been working on for however long with whoever. For all I know that is exactly what they do but this tag team pairing has been wow.
This match was probably my match of the night. It showed the beauty of tag wrestling through and through with it's pacing and how they all worked together. It was a thing of beauty and glad I remembered to tune in because honestly both Takeover and Many of the Bank have been pretty lackluster in their build ups I thought.

Ricochet vs Velveteen Dream

I was worried about this match at first. Right from the beginning started to much in the flippy dippy highspots with no build up. Then as it went along I realized and felt like Dream was out Ricocheting Ricochet and I got into it. I didn't expect that but that's the Dream. I am finding him so talented; but can the main roster audience get him?
Oh and Ricochet started doing Dreams stuff so I bought into the story.
It also helps that the cruiser weight stuff has been relegated back to just 205 Live can't remember the last match they actually had on RAW and there may have been another PPV match but last one remembering was Greatest Battle Royale.
I still probably prefer the Prince Puma stuff because Lucha Underground is a comic book come to life but this ended up being a great wait to keep the energy going from the opener but that was quickly extinguished by the women's title match.

Baszler vs Cross

The build up towards this match I didn't understand why it wasn't a 3 way with Dakota Kai thrown in and maybe include Lacey Evans to make it a four way.
Cross other than the falls count anywhere singles match with Asuka her one on one matches just haven't worked for me with the wild persona and such. The multi-women matches just work better to harbor the manic energy that Cross puts across and gives her something to interact with other than inanimate objects.
Why do they keep having Baszler opponents fight her submissions for prolonged amounts of time? Asuka gave up to Charolette's figure 8 in what seemed like 3 seconds but you got a trained fighter with an actual legitimized submission hold out for what feels like 5 minutes. Being a legit fighter you would think Baszler would switch into something else because it doesn't seem to be working.
The story telling has been awful in ppv Baszler matches.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

Remind me to not use my phone when doing this reread my first part and so many auto correct mistakes. Anyway........

Black vs Sullivan

I don't know if the fact I went into this match expecting the worst made it a bit surprising and enjoyable or I just ignored Sullivan because we already got the monster thing cooking with Stroman.
Big men I think because it is such an effort to get back up or they are selling the I am big and you are small thing really don't bump but Sullivan was into it making it so much more of a realistic and credible thing. Doesn't hurt to have a good bloody mouth either. Was there even one speck of blood in the street fight? I eventually pretty well tuned out on that match but we are getting there.
Other than what looked like a complete whiff in the beginning of the ending segment that still had Sullivan selling it this was a great match and my surprise of the night.

Gargano vs Ciampa

The build up since the last match has been a bit to over the top soap opera for my tastes but the style of match seemed like a good progression for the feud. You can't do something like this now a days on the main roster and I think that is one of the things hurting the Styles/Nakamura bit because crotch shots seem to be as far as you can go.
Unfortunately like most of the modern extreme matches in WWE this went on way to long for my tastes. I can never say it enough you push a realistic product to try and hook some of the MMA crowd but when people bludgeon each other for this length of time and you don't even have a hint of blood it doesn't work for me. I get the hatred and wanting to make a guy suffer as long as possible for all the wrongdoings but their is a point it just doesn't become fun anymore.
I'm also not even sure where they can go next. A cage would be a bit lackluster. An Ultimate Deletion style match could be fun but not with the personality of these two. Will be interesting to see where they decide to take it next.

Probably one of my least favorite NXT shows in awhile since that main event felt like it took up half the show but still a very solid show for my specific wrestling tastes.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Jose Corona said...

Lars Sullivan used a BROCK LOCK on Aleister Black, not a Stretch Muffler. Why? Because FUCK SAMI CALLIHAN! I got into an argument with a friend of mine at Takeover over this.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home