Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Monday, October 29, 2018

Mae Young Classic 2018 Episode 8

Toni Storm vs. Meiko Satomura

ER: I had a feeling this was the full bore Storm push, but I thought she stepped up here and looked better in this match than any of her other MYC matches. The layout wasn't my favorite, as we would get a long period of Storm, then a long period of Meiko, repeat, and I didn't really love Storm kicking out of a bunch of nasty Meiko offense down the finishing stretch only to win with a double underhook powerbomb. The powerbomb that won the match looked great, Meiko even made sure to take it differently than the prior Storm Front that Meiko kicked out of; Meiko took the one earlier in the match more flat back, the match ender she took up on her neck and shoulders and that made it at least look like more of a ramped up version of the move. I thought the execution was strong throughout, and I think Storm peaked with her STF, that was probably her strongest looking moment of the tournament. The STF looked really nasty, hooking her arm deep under Meiko's neck and I thought Meiko's selling was fantastic. Meiko had a way throughout this tournament of making me buy into potential finishes, like making a Lacey Lane crossbody look like it landed on her head and may have knocked her out, and here we get a STF several minutes in - in a match I assume is getting some time - and I fully buy that the STF can finish it. Storm made it look good, and Meiko knew exactly how far she was from the ropes, knew exactly how to milk the drama. But Storm worked hard throughout, I liked her opening wristwork, she got a super impressive high bridge on a northern lights, hit a great low tope and smashed her elbow on that metal grating (god that grating is really the ultimate heel in this tournament), and I liked all her kicks around the back of Meiko's head. Meiko looked like pure class, and it's really nobody else's fault that they didn't look as good as Meiko in this tournament; Meiko is one of the few people who could feasibly lay claim to currently being #1 in the world, so others just aren't going to look as good. All of Meiko's comebacks here were strong, that cartwheel kick looks like a straight guillotine, all of her strikes outclassed, and she knew how to strongly build nearfalls down the stretch to keep ramping up the intensity, and she really had this uncanny ability to properly sell Storm's strikes throughout. I noticed early when Storm hit a headbutt, and it was a decent enough headbutt but nothing coconut shattering, and Meiko looked up with more of an annoyed expression than a hollow daze. From there it just made me notice how great she was at knowing just how hard or soft a move or strike looked, and reacting to it accordingly. That's got to be one of the most impossible things to recognize and react to, but, she is a master. I obviously wanted Meiko going over, but this was as strong a way as any to have her lose.

PAS: This was really good, Storm is not a favorite of mine, but she definitely worked hard, I will second the love of her STF, although Meiko's Figure four variation right before it was even nastier. I also loved Storms snap kick right to the chin, it felt like that should have cut her chin open. Meiko is incredible though, all of the early grappling was such class, her early wear down strikes were withering all of her big offense was so big looking, she is out of this world. I just can't buy anyone beating her, she is just too good so it is hard to like a match she loses as much as one she wins. I also think the finish run got a little your turn my turn, with big dramatic near falls from one wrestler leading immediately into big near falls from another wrestler. Still Meiko batted 1000 in this tournament, I need to check all of her random Euro indy work, she might be the best in the world

Rhea Ripley vs. Io Shirai

ER: Damn could I get maybe a consolation match between the losers? I don't know if there's anybody in the tournament who raised her stock more than Ripley during this tournament. I don't think there's a person out there who could keep a straight face and tell me that Shirai outshined Ripley here, or that Shirai has shone at all during the MYC. I have seen and liked Shirai before this, but she didn't come off any better than most of the way less hyped and way less experienced people from both MYC. Ripley is not nearly as giant as the big women they've brought to work both MYC, but for someone 5'8" and a little thick, she was really able to play bigger and more domineering. Ripley comes off like what they originally wanted Natalya to be, and Ripley hasn't been doing this nearly as long. Shirai had nice fire whenever she had to fight back, both those uppercuts that were knocking Rhea around the ring didn't look as good as literally any shot that Ripley threw in this match. And Ripley just looks like she owns this ring, whether she's on offense or setting up Shirai's less plausible offense, she just reads bigger than she is. I thought her grounding Shirai to start was awesome, tons of hard shots, raining down ground and pound, shots to the body, and then goes after my heart by working a stomach claw on Shirai. The camera work was great and the announcers were great at talking about it, then Ripley works a cool body vice and a long hanging vertical suplex and I'm officially a Ripley fan. Shirai's comeback at least gets the crowd involved, even though a lot of it wouldn't look like it would harm Ripley. She gets a rana out of a powerbomb and hits a nice suicide dive. The strike exchange didn't really work mainly because Shirai acts like she's throwing kill shots, and they never look great, but she hits a nice missile dropkick. Although really, I mainly just like how Ripley took the dropkick, whipped over fast and landed with her butt comically in the air. Shirai wins by violently whipping her own knees into the mat, connecting her body more with Ripley's body at least more than her other three matches. Genius! I assumed this was the finals we were getting, and maybe it will work out with them on the big stage. But if we don't get Ripley vs. Meiko as a run off for the bronze, I'm going to be pisssssssed.

ER: Meiko is the best. Three of her four MYC matches land on our 2018 Ongoing MOTY List, and I'm sure her match against Lane would have gotten there if it went 7 minutes instead of 5. Meiko is god, god is Meiko.


Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

No surprise at the winners like I said as the tournament went along even the final at Evolution the winner was for the most part predictable. I liked in the later rounds that the losers of each match for the most part got a bigger showcase and shows it is worth the time for ladies to do the tournament that for the most part they are really getting some exposure.

Meiko vs Storm

For once, though the stretches were rather long, it was a bit more of a back and forth and Storm felt like she earned her victory. With the longer length we got more of the stuff Storm does that I don't care all that much for. Wrestling needs those folks we love to hate though.
Thanks WWE for bringing someone like Meiko over for the tournament this year. I get a lot of these women are actually veterans but how many of them work more than a 2 or 5 minute match on a constant basis?

Ripley vs Shirai

I had no plans to watch NXT UK. I honestly haven't really cared for the UK talent besides Dunne. Other guys have had some fun bits and stuff sometimes but like 205 seems a style that works great as one match on a show; but a whole show?
Didn't bother watching either of the UK tournaments either and I gave up on shows like Hollywood Wrestling and Ring Warriors because really don't have the time to learn about new talent to me with the amount of wrestling on tv.
Saw on Instagram the starting female competitors and definitely looked being built around Storm but seeing Brightside, Jinny, and Ripley in this tournament I may have to change my mind about adding yet another hour to my wrestling watching.
Ripley definitely saw the potential last year for someone so green. A year later she has shown a lot of more growth than a lot of the returning talent. She likely wasn't the original person for this match but she was a great solid replacement. Based on her performance and the way woman matches are so micromanaged I went in not expecting as solid of a match as we got.
Shirai for all her accolades has been far from impressive to me. Her and Sane, last year, show that despite their accolades they aren't well rounded enough so we get to much of the wait for their comeback. We still get a bit of that with Sane currently, probably a mix of size and language barrier, but the storytelling building towards it has been much better. We'll see what they do with Shirai in NXT but they need to do something different than they done with Sane.

I had some worries when it came to the first round and disappointed with how many returns and not many of them I wanted to see return but this was another fun bit of programming and look forward to hopefully another MYC in the future.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home