Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Mae Young Classic 2018 Episode 1

Tegan Nox vs. Zatara

ER: Cole is a little too head over heels for Nox, so my household is Team Zatara right here. But Beth Phoenix informs me that Zatara is not here to make friends. You don't say. I mean, it's tough to make new friends once you're an adult. Maybe one of these 32 women knew they might not have the best odds of winning this tournament, but thought it would be a good way to meet some new girlfriends. I was entirely unfamiliar with both women, and this didn't make me want to get more familiar. There were some things I liked, like the fun arm work right at the beginning and Zatara's Negro Navarro-ish cruceta and Zatara's running knee and hard missile dropkick, etc. But both had some poor looking offense at points. Nox threw these uppercuts that looked like she was intentionally missing Zatara, and Zatara threw a pretty ugly mule kick (that's a tough move to connect on, and a lot of ladies use it, and I'm not sure I've seen one do it well) and threw missed clotheslines that were in no danger of hitting anybody. Nox also had a couple of annoying phony athletic bumps, like she was trying to do athletic Hennig bumps but there was a hesitation or delay. I remember there being worse matches than this last year, but I likely won't remember this one by the end of the tournament.

PAS: This didn't do much for me, Nox is someone who gets a lot of hype from people whose opinions I don't trust, and she didn't show me much here. There was some OK stuff by Zatara I though her moves landed with force, but parts of this also felt disjointed. I am not sure there are 32 good women's wrestlers for a tourney like this to be all good matches. I like how the MYC brings in women from all over the world, but the best Chilean versus the best Welsh lady is going to likely be subpar.

MJ Jenkins vs. Rhea Ripley

ER: This one was really fun. Ripley won me over in her match against Dakota Kai last year, and I liked how this was structured with Ripley being a bully until Jenkins snapped. Ripley hit a nice dropkick to knock Jenkins off the apron (with a nice two part bump to the floor from Jenkins) and a GREAT clothesline back in the ring, locked in a snug abdominal stretch, really all her control stuff looked good. She also did a few little things that impressed me, like when she missed an overhand strike in the corner when Jenkins slipped out to the apron, and Ripley missed hard and then grabbed her side and shook out her arm, occupying time until Jenkins was ready to hit offense. I see so many wrestlers just stagger back into position and just stand there crooked and waiting, so seeing a 21 year old already finding interesting ways to occupy time is really cool. Jenkins bumped nicely for Ripley and was mostly in there to make Ripley look good and sell, so it worked. Fun showcase.

PAS: I thought this was fine. Ripley was a bit OTT with her new tough girl attitude, lots of silly faces and grimacing. I did think her offense looked good, that powerbomb finisher was class. Jenkins had some nice energy, but I am not sure she showed me much to make her stand out, outside of being an opponent. I assume Ripley will go pretty far, which is fine, she fits with what they want, and is still really young.

Lacey Lane vs. Vanessa Kraven

ER: Absolutely love Lane's look, and I really liked the cat and mouse stuff here. Kraven is so much bigger than Lane, but it was fun seeing Lane find neat ways to put her boots upside Kraven's head. Lane doesn't have great elbow strikes (and yet I liked a lot of her kicks and she had a fantastic jumping knee to the chin) but I liked the way she would stick and move and spring back in undeterred. Kraven was good at those swinging "Andre being swarmed" arms, trying to shove away to create some space. There was an unfortunate botch that both handled about as well as possible, really not a ton you can do but pick yourself up and get back to it. Kraven had some cool stuff, like hanging Lane upside down in the ropes and chopping at her, and I liked Kraven's cannonball and the callback whiff, and Lane was working for a crucifix the entire match so it made sense to have her win with it. This wasn't always sound, but was an interesting match up and had a lot of ideas. Probably my favorite of the night so far because of that.

PAS: I thought parts of this were really fun, I liked all of Lane's early evasion and stick and moving. I didn't think she lost some steam post botch. Kraven is impressive looking, but I thought she was a bit stiff and didn't work with the same brutality as Jazzy or Viper last year. This is a match layout I usually dig, and it was put together well.

Killer Kelly vs. Meiko Satomura

ER: Is there going to be any woman in this tournament who doesn't get completely outclassed by Satomura? I loved her profile promo, talking about her WCW stint and keeping kayfabe by saying she was young and had no finisher yet, which was why she lost so quickly. And this match was awesome. Never heard of Kelly before, and she was basically in their to get her ass beaten by Meiko, and she ended up turning it into a whole lot more. She clearly understood who she was in there with and had no problems laying it in. She lands a kick to the chest that made me sit up, and then likely earned her a half dozen even harder kicks to the chest from Meiko. Meiko unleashes a lot, shows off her awesome speed and impeccable ring placement, hits a super fast armdrag roll up into a half crab that she turns into a chiropractor's dream of a STF (Renee Young on commentary even flipped out, yelling "Look at how Kelly's knee is bent!") and drops her cool cartwheel kneedrop. Kelly is cool working at a choke and really stands up to Meiko, and gets an awesome comeback when she catches Meiko up top, and the two have some cool close quarters struggle before Kelly locks in a sick dragon sleeper while hooked across the ropes. Kelly was good enough here - and Meiko was convincing enough - that I fully bought Kelly's fisherman's suplex pinning Satomura. Meiko had the perfect last minute kickout and I was actually smelling upset. That's effective work from both ladies right there. Meiko looked like an absolute boss in this one, but Kelly impressed the hell out of me too. Awesome capper to the first episode.

PAS: I don't think there are many wrestlers in the world who aren't going to be outclassed by Meiko, outside of maybe Daniel Bryan she is the best wrestler in the whole fed. She looked incredible in this match, she is clearly amped to be working in the WWE after all these years, and some of the chaining of moves in this match were breath taking. Kelly impressed me too, she realized where she was and who she was there with and came with it. Meiko unloaded with some huge violent kicks and when Kelly fired back she met her force to force. Meiko's timing in this match was great, that fisherman's suplex was timed perfectly, one of the better nearfalls I can remember.

ER: After talking it over we decided to add Meiko/Kelly to our 2018 Ongoing MOTY List, just a fantastic little TV match, with Meiko looking like the best wrestler in the world, Kelly getting a couple great comebacks, and really the match had the best nearfall kickout of the year. Very excited for what's to come.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Yerfuneral said...

Using this Saturday to catch up on wrestling a bit. Not sure will catch up totally on Mae Young Classic since sat through a bunch of NXT and the Bracketology so kind of tired and ready to move on but we'll see.

1) Nox vs Zatara

Nox is probably the one I am most familiar with watched a number of her matches since knew her from guest appearances on Ruby Riott Instagram during her NXT days so watched some of her indie stuff when watching Ruby stuff. It hurts she now looks like so many others on the WWE farm league roster like the American Ninja girl, Purrazzo, and others.
Guess they like to throw a lucha competitor in opening matches since believe both years have started with lucha's.
Agree Zatara looked the better of the two but ended the work to Nox leg to early especially with Nox selling it so much.

2) Ripley vs Jenkins

I thought Ripley showed lots of potential so glad she is back unlike some of the other returnees. Where is Jazzy and Piper from last year.
Liking the evil Ripley really adds something though it does feel like she has used Toni Storm as a mentor a bit.
MJ Jenkins unfortunately in her video package came off like Bianca Belair but not as interesting.
Match wise you could tell this was going to be Ripley' match early but Jenkins did a good job at selling and bumping but unfortunately can't remember any offense of her own though I just watched the match. I appreciate Jenkins being professional last year you could tell didn't care for doing a job.

3) Kraven vs Lane

Such a size difference was expecting a train wreck but Lane like I remembered some of Kai last year with some believable offense leading to a win. Like Belair last year; Lane is an early pick for my stand out from the tournament.

4) Kelly vs Satomura

Woman's wrestling I am driven a lot by personality you have some wrestling but that is usually lacking but this was off the charts as far as wrestling work goes.
I expected it from Satomura because you know any japanese wrestler grown from the japanese wrestling system is going to be able to bring the wrestling.
Killer Kelly I had no idea would be able to keep up and show so much wrestling ability. Kelly unfortunately looks wise was very Women of Honor stereotype female wrestler so wrote her off a bit but was so wrong.
I thought Purrazzo vs Belair from the NXT episodes I watched was going to be best women's match I saw today but was proven way wrong.
This match made me want to continue watching but need to give my one eye a rest for now. We'll see about trying to fit more Mae Young Classic in this weekend.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home