Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Monday, May 26, 2014

2014 Ongoing Match of the Year List

6. AJ Styles v. Chris Hero ROH 3/22

PAS: Hey ROH, I remember ROH, good to see they can still toss out something great every once in a while. Both of these guys are guys with tendencies, and they mostly kept those tendencies in check. With the overkill limited, they put on a corker of a match. Hero was absolutely killing Styles, almost FUTEN level big boots, elbows and some disgusting thai knees. Styles did a great job of selling, constantly checking his dental work, and folding himself up on big blows. Meanwhile he had some great hit and run counters, using his speed to evade and crack Hero, I especially loved how he worked in the Pele kick. Finish was great too, as it looked like they were going to devolve in fighting spirt nonsense, and instead we got a very cool flash calf slicer tap out. I really liked this, reminded me of a time I liked indy wrestling.

ER: I, too, remember ROH and this also reminds me of when I actively used to purchase ROH DVDs; as opposed to right now, when I do not even actively look up results of ROH events. This is a nice, tidy match that never threatens to overstay its welcome, and both guys looked great. I could watch Hero straight front kick dudes all day, and for 20 minutes here I get my wish. I loved how he would cut off a bunch of Styles moves with a front kick, somehow utilizing a big boot almost like an "out of nowhere" Diamond Cutter type move. Even though Hero leads with that big boot more often than not in this match, he still managed to surprise me some of the times he pulled it out. It was just so damn satisfying seeing him kick through Styles' chest or plant a heel through his forehead. I loved the opening mat work here, and both guys added some cool touches to stuff you've seen a million times (I especially loved Hero grabbing a chinlock and leaning all his weight forward on Styles' body). Selling from both guys was great, with both guys really knowing how to make the other's offense look awesome. I loved Hero plopping down on his butt after the Pele kick. Then Styles goes and one-ups that selling by getting folded damn near in half of a big boot, like that sheriff that Jason snaps in half in Friday the 13th: Jason Lives. This whole thing builds great and the finish really satisfies. Great match.


2014 MASTER LIST

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home