Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lawler's Real, So Real

Jerry Lawler/Bill Dundee v. Gary Young/John Tatum USWA 8/31/90-GREAT

PAS: Total blast we have two of the best Memphis style babyfaces against two of the stoogiest Memphis heels and it's all you want it to be. Man I could watch Tatum make funny faces all day and he makes some very funny faces when Bill Dundee punches him. Mostly just Lawler and Dundee running through great face shticks while Tatum and Young bump around. I loved the knuckle lock variations where Dundee and Tatum would match up and Lawler would keeping crawling through legs to pop up and punch someone in the grill. Better finish and another five minutes would have gotten this to Epic, but I had a smile on my face the whole time

ER: I may be the biggest John Tatum fan in the world. He's far and away my favorite stooge in wrestling history (Smothers is up there, but still not close to Tatum). I think I even had an Chris Adams/Tatum match #1 on my Mid-South ballot, which is one of the main reasons my ballots are always so perfect. I love his big pout face, I love his pratfalls, I love when he kind runs in place for a bit after getting sucker punched. Tatum sells a punch like a cartoon cat getting his nose stuck in a moustrap. He's like the greatest possible Alpha Beta permanently reacting to being outfoxed by the Tri Lambs. It's the absolute best bullshit in wrestling.

 Literally 8 of the match's 12 minutes were spent on Lawler/Dundee finding ways to hit Young and Tatum in the dick, and then Young and Tatum selling their dicks and selling the fear of getting hit in the dick. Dundee stomps Tatum right in the taint at one point. Much time is spent with Lawler/Dundee trying to pull Young/Tatum balls first into a ring post. I love Lawler tossing big haymakers in wild brawls, but it's just as satisfying seeing him surprise Tatum with a downward glancing punch right onto the bridge of his nose. Dundee and Lawler threw some hilarious sucker punches all throughout this. Whichever one of Young/Tatum were on the apron would be holding their genitals either to massage feeling back into them or to protect them from future stompings, and Lawler or Bill would sneak up and coldcock them. I imagine if I was there live I would have had sore cheeks from laughing so much.

COMPLETE AND ACCURATE KING

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home