Segunda Caida

Phil Schneider, Eric Ritz, Matt D, Sebastian, and other friends write about pro wrestling. Follow us @segundacaida

Saturday, January 19, 2019

WOW - Women of Wrestling Episode 1 1/18/19

So I legitimately had no idea David McLane's WOW was back in any form until I saw Bix swooning all over it on Twitter. I was a huge WOW fan during it's original run. My gf and I at the time would watch it at 1 AM Saturday nights, I ordered a Riot shirt that never came because they went out of business, and I watched that PPV LIVE! Now they got Tessa Blanchard (who is clearly a better wrestler than anybody involved in WOW's original run) and I am not looking up any further information about it. It's on my TV right now, I'm watching it.

We start with WOW "Women of Wrestling World Champion of the World" Santana Garrett (apparently WOW has been running shows?) and Tessa Blanchard came out with her and McLane and made fun of Garrett's towel boy dad for carrying her dad's Gucci bag.

The Beast vs. Stephy Slays

ER: Unfamiliar with both of these girls. Stephy sets goals, and slays them. The Beast is making her mark. And really this wasn't bad. Both seemed pretty rough around the edges, but Stephy takes hard fast bumps and Beast lands clotheslines and avalanches with a lot of impact. Throw in a nice dropkick from Slays and a fun nearfall off a Beast missed corner charge, big butterfly suplex from Beast, surprise kickout from Slays on an Air Raid Crash, and this overdelivered on what I expected. Granted, I expected it to be two untrained fitness models clomping around the ring, but there have been modern Diva matches that have looked worse than this. The weirdest thing was that Stephy was working as underdog babyface, but Beast was working as dominant babyface. She pulled Stephy up from a kickout, which was the only heelish thing she did, and the rest of the time they were talking about her on commentary like she was Goldberg. I'm excited to see how the face/heel dynamics play out with the rest of the roster. I liked the mix of heels on the original WOW.

"The Governor's Daughter" Abilene Maverick vs. Fire

ER: Fire is Kiera Hogan, who I like, Maverick works all over as Barbi Hayden. This was fine, although apparently mule kicks are still really tough to make look good. This was split up weird, with Maverick taking the first half, building to a big comeback by Fire in the second half, until Maverick won with a rope drape DDT that Fire couldn't have made look any better (really dropped her on her head and folded her). Maverick makes good heel faces, McLane - in perfect McLane fashion - gossiped about her boyfriend (Preston!) during the match, and I liked Fire's comeback. Fire hit this sliding kick in the corner that looked real good. Fire had a whole vignette before this where she evolved from troubled bullied teen into FIRE, so I'm surprised she lost in her debut.

Khloe Hurtz vs. Eye Candy

ER: Hurtz is called the All Natural, which apparently is because she has fake lips and fake boobs, but she ALSO has a bunch of ring boys called RING RATS!! So that's pretty terrific. She didn't do a ton for me in ring, but I dug Eye Candy. I'm sure she doesn't actually go by Eye Candy on the indies, but she looked good here, best of the babyfaces so far. Crowd was way into her, she hit a couple nice senton variations (including a nice rolling one), a big dropkick off the top that I thought was going to fall short (nice whip bump off it by Hurtz), a nice headbutt and hip attack, and wins with a really great moonsault. So far in the first episode we've had at least one decent nearfall in every match even when some of the wrestling has been so-so. A nicely placed nearfall can be really exciting, and so far each one on this episode has added to their respective matches.

Jungle Grrrl vs. Santana Garrett

ER: WOW ORIGINAL JUNGLE GRRRL! Jeez WOW was another lifetime ago. I was literally a teenager when I first watched WOW. I didn't think we'd actually get any WOW originals. And Jungle Grrrl is now a Jungle Mother and she looks almost exactly the same as she did in 2000 and her son Jungle Boy is there in attendance! Jungle Grrrl is clearly a Jungle Pilates Trainer now, she is ripped. The match doesn't go too long as it serves more as an angle, but the action we got was pretty good. I liked the opening scramble, JG showing off her yoga strength and working nice exchanges around knucklelocks, the coolest being Garrett elbowing JG a couple times while they were still joined in a knucklelock! I don't think I've seen that before. JG hits the Jungle Driver (basically a Michinoku Driver) and commits big to missing the big Jungle Splash off the top. The angle we got to end the show was pretty fantastic, with Tessa Blanchard coming out and kinking up Garrett's dads oxygen tubes (awesome), and The Beast coming out to confront Jungle Grrrl. The whole show they're building up the inevitable showdown between Garrett and Blanchard, and then all of a sudden they're doing a huge pull apart between Beast and JG and making me want to see THAT match more!

I gotta say, this debut episode had to blow past everyone's realistic expectations. This show made shockingly good use of its time, felt weirdly like old WOW but with better wrestlers (though also less blue collar professionals moonlighting as wrestlers), it didn't have one crazy young referee out to take one extremely stupid bump per episode, but they unexpectedly seem like they know how to build things. I came out of this episode already wanting to see the matches they're setting up, which is a huge win for them. Eye Candy, Fire, Beast, Stephy Slays, almost everyone here showed breakout potential. I watched WOW as a teen, now I'm watching WOW as someone who just turned 38. WOW is on a larger cable television platform than Impact Wrestling, which has been around for an eternity yet somehow wasn't around the last time WOW was on television. What a strange Friday night.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Davey C said...

Eye Candy is Willow Nightingale on the indies, she's really good. Every time I see her, she seems to get a little better and she's a total natural face, incredible likable

3:12 AM  
Blogger EricR said...

That's it! I've seen her a couple times before and always liked her charisma. She is definitely incredibly likable.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I'm just really fucking impressed with that moonsault.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Double t said...

Khloe is Katie Forbes. Kinda surprised anyone is using her. Saw her in Wildkat and she would botch everything.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Yerfuneral said...

WOW had moved to the web a long while a go. I would keep forgetting about it because I don't know if has had a season format or what but when I would remember it the same episode would stream for longest time on the official site.

I recall seeing Candace LaRae and Melissa Santos as part of the relaunch.

I don't know much of current roster but some feel like recognize some from dives into Ruby Riott indy work when took a YouTube dive from that years ago.

If the official site is anything to go off of it seems Lana Star, Riot, and Caged Heat are possibly still around. They have updated there site since I looked at it last month still picture Lana but only mentions of Caged Heat and no evidence of Riot remain. We will see haven't had time yet to watch last night episode 2.

Welcome comeback I am missing the more character driven stuff like Lucha Underground so this fits bill nicely and seeing how many actual trained wrestling woman they have rather than athletes and models look forward to more.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Bix said...

The pre-AXS 2010s relaunch seasons are fucking weird and I've barely watched them. seasons 2 and 3 had 3-5 minute YouTube episodes and season 4 had 18-20 minute episodes on the WOW website. I dunno if they didn't have enough money to bother with editing real episodes out of them or what, but they aren't really proper wrestling television and the ones I've seen pack the cool parts of season 5.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Bix said...

*lack

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home